Amazed at accuracy of air rifle

Harnser

Decided to re zero to 40 yards this morning . Set a target up at 40 measured yards and had a go on the 30 yard zero . Was now shooting about 2 inches low . Clicked the site up 8 clicks and was bang on the money .  Shot five 10 round groups with a bit of fine tuning I was shooting the same ragged one hole group . Very ,very pleased with the performance of the rifle incidentally I was using diabolo field pellets . I have some bisley magnum that I shall try out tomorrow to see were they shoot off my present zero . Beginning to enjoy plinking with this air rifle ,some thing I haven’t done since I was boy .

harnser

Bismags tend to be a tad heavy and may make the rifle feel harsh.

Now the good weather has arrived you can really have some fun. I'll be out this evening with Prosport, sticks and chair, sat in the corner of a field shooting rabbits down two hedgelines.

Inbetween bunnies there'll be some long range plinking.

1 hour ago, Harnser said:

Decided to re zero to 40 yards this morning . Set a target up at 40 measured yards and had a go on the 30 yard zero . Was now shooting about 2 inches low . Clicked the site up 8 clicks and was bang on the money .  Shot five 10 round groups with a bit of fine tuning I was shooting the same ragged one hole group . Very ,very pleased with the performance of the rifle incidentally I was using diabolo field pellets . I have some bisley magnum that I shall try out tomorrow to see were they shoot off my present zero . Beginning to enjoy plinking with this air rifle ,some thing I haven’t done since I was boy .

harnser

know excactly how you feel.............have the same fun with my hw77........at the moment im trying to get the rebuilt Mercury mod' S to shoot straight.....i think with the new titan xs spring it is too overpowered will chrono it at the gun shop in brundall thurs...and will see whats what..

It’s taken me 60 years to realise that there is a need for air rifles in the field . I have had many rim fires for pest control and centre fires for stalking and never owned an air rifle until very recently . 

I had never thought that I would have needed the use of an air rifle for use in the field it had never crossed my mind . About a year ago I gave up my FAC as iI no longer liked shooting deer and just like to watch them walking around the farm and didn’t want to have a rim fire any more , my own personal decision that took a lot deep thought .

Any how not having a rifle to shoot I felt that something was missing in my life . So I bought an air rifle .  Been shooting rats inside the barns some thing I couldn’t do with the rim fires ,shot some rabbits from under the mantle on the grain silos ,something I couldn’t do with the rim fires and shot two feral pigeons inside the tractor shed something I couldn’t do with the rim fires .

now have a new interest in air rifle shooting . May be I will progress to a PCP rifle if in fact it is a progression. At the moment I am as pleased as a dog with two tails with my springer .

harnser

I have only recently got back into using air rifles because I have been asked to sort out vermin around concrete clad farm yards some with a couple of million quids worth of beef wandering around.  I purchased firstly a TX200 as advised on here and have not been disappointed. Then I found that I needed the quick reload response that I have with my Mossberg 22RF but could not use that. I then purchased an AAS200 .22  Mk 1 second hand but like new. Very accurate little rifle and after sorting maybe 170-180 barn pigeons with it, I found that I needed just that little bit more hitting power at range  45 - 60yrds sometimes in order to get a safe roof top shot. I am therefore looking to have the S200 uprated to FAC pressures, not super high but somewhere between a 12ft lb rifle and a 22RF.  

I think such a rifle would fill that gap between the 12ft lb and 22RF.  I have work for my 22RF but  I have shot too many 22s to hear them winging off into the distance even though I am super careful.  I look forward to comments on here as I admit I am no expert at air rifles, other than I shoot them pretty well.

Harnser....we are like two peas in a pod. My thoughts entirely but I do still roll the occasional deer over, they're too good on the table to ignore.

Edited by Walker570

13 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Hey walker. What pellets do you shoot through the s200 ? 

As they could determine energy the s200 could make at fac .

Im a big fan of my .22 ultra at 23 fpe .

With13.4 grn pellets .perfect for birds 

At the moment I am using Webley Mosquito 14.35 and they group very well and do the job out to 35-40yrds on magpies. Barn pigeons take a bit more stopping over that distance as do squirrels and I was just thinking an upgraded S200 would just fill that gap.  I was thinking 18-20fpe. As you perhaps know the Mk1 already had the adjustment on the side of the action, so not difficult to do. I would have a pro do it though.

Advice this morning was not to go that way. The capacity of the S200 for start will limit shots to around 10 which is no good for what I need. The qiestion asked was, " Is it do-able?"

The answer was "Yes ...pause... but I wouldn't."  Back to the drawing board because I am hanging on to the S200 ...love it.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Advice this morning was not to go that way. The capacity of the S200 for start will limit shots to around 10 which is no good for what I need. The qiestion asked was, " Is it do-able?"

The answer was "Yes ...pause... but I wouldn't."  Back to the drawing board because I am hanging on to the S200 ...love it.

If I remember correctly a Mk 1 will only go up to about 17 ft lbs with the venturi adjustment.
If you start going into regulator territory, you might as well just get a different gun.

Shot count on an S200 was never great anyway, with a pretty decent sized power curve.
A big cylindered gun is the way forward if you are looking at anything over 30 ft lb.

Ok .well general concensus of opionion is not to conver bsa ultras to fac .in either .177 or .22 .as " shot count or energy would suffer " 

Well i have a .22 at 23 fpe for 30 shots (ok it does have a slightly longer scorpion air tube ) but its still a short light ultra .it does about 20 with the ultra tube .

And my mate has a .177 ultra fac at 16 fpe. .

Often ignor the nay sayers and go with your own ideas. 

To my mind if you were gonna convert a pcp to around 20 -25 fpe in .22 id go with tje bsa scorpion .still pretty light and short. But easily capable of this energy for around 30 shots. 

Id predict a .22 ultra se to do around 25 shots at 18 fpe. Which is pretty good.  

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

Ok .well general concensus of opionion is not to conver bsa ultras to fac .in either .177 or .22 .as " shot count or energy would suffer " 

Well i have a .22 at 23 fpe for 30 shots (ok it does have a slightly longer scorpion air tube ) but its still a short light ultra .it does about 20 with the ultra tube .

And my mate has a .177 ultra fac at 16 fpe. .

Often ignor the nay sayers and go with your own ideas. 

Not really about nay saying, its more about practicality.
How much further can you reach out to with the extra power?
How many shots do you need on a usual session?
Ultimately, does that option to go the  extra 10-15 yards range justify halving your shot count ?

Thats a good. Point .double the energy doesnt always double the range .

But in the case of my facs .the .25 is good for around 90 yds (ideal conditions .) And the .22 around 75 .yds 

The .177 for 65  

So in this case the .22 has almost  doubled its effective range .

The .177 added about 15 yds on . The .25  well ? , whats a sub 12  .25 good for ?   .30 yds .so lets say its trippled that. 

Another thing worth looking at with FAC air walker is that a lot of fac guns sell for less than there sub 12 versions, if you look at rapids, people are buying the guns then stripping them down and selling all the parts separate as only the block is registered as fac, if this isn't sold its then destroyed.

Sounds like your going to need another new gun ???

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

Another thing worth looking at with FAC air walker is that a lot of fac guns sell for less than there sub 12 versions, if you look at rapids, people are buying the guns then stripping them down and selling all the parts separate as only the block is registered as fac, if this isn't sold its then destroyed.

Sounds like your going to need another new gun ???

Yep, that's what I was thinking.  I don't have a great problem as things stand, but in certain farm yards I have to turn down a shot because the only choice is just that bit too far ... in my opinion.. I could hit the target, but could I kill it ?  To get closer would mean the angle would put the farmhouse or working area in line.  I'll mull it over... shooting season will soon be upon us and I already have a dozen days booked to be paid for, so forking out for another rifle may not be acceptable.   Thank you all for your help. That's why I joined the PW forum, like the Shooters Forum(USA) of which I am a moderator, you always get some good advise and help in a friendly way.  We can learn something new every day.

Edited by Walker570