Covert a gun from ejector to extractor?

Wingman

Hello guys

I bought my son a Webley and Scott 928 recently which he is getting on very well with and improving his scores nicely. The only problem he's having is that the top lever is very stiff to open after both barrels have been fired.  I am guessing this is due to the ejectors needing to be cocked when opening the gun.  The gun also seems to launch the spent 28 bore cartridges about 20 feet into the air quite a problem as he's still learning how to catch the ejected cartridges!

I have seen a few posts on the internet where people have made a change to their gun so it extracts rather than ejects the spent cartridges I wondered if anyone could offer any advice on how I might be able to do this (or is it a gunsmith job?)  I would want any change to be temporary as when he's ready I want to reinstate the ejectors.

So any tips would be appreciated I think that the Webley and Scott 928 is basically a Yildiz rebadged.

Thanks 

Edited by Wingman

Hi there, you should be able to take out the ejector springs so leaving just the extractors. I have a Baikal s/s 20 bore and when i was rat shooting with home loaded special light loads the cases nearly went into orbit.

I have a 928 like yours, great to shoot on game or clays, same exciting ? ejector action. No chance to check till tomorrow, but I would expect an access cover ( both sides ?) maybe held with small allen screw..open, pull springs and save somewhere safe, till needed again. On a previous gun I used weaker springs from a biro, trimmed to length, work fine to pop the cases up for finger pull. Hope this may help..these Turkish made guns tend to be tight from new..I ease a drop of Ballistol or CLP into the cracks, seems to help a bit.

When you say "the top lever", do you mean the lever is stiff to move across, or that the gun is stiff to open/close?

If it is the lever movement that is stiff, I don't think the ejectors will make any difference.

All guns when new are quite tight.  You need to keep them lubricated to ensure a good 'running in' happens.  Just needs a little oil/grease on all surfaces where metal moves against metal.  Doesn't need much, just a smear, but does need to be on all moving contact surfaces.  Then when cleaning after use, wipe off the old - which will be dirty, and add just a smear of fresh clean oil/grease.  Any reasonable oil/grease is fine, but it should be clean, on all moving surfaces, and sparingly applied.  Never add so much that it runs, or soaks into woodwork.

The ejector springs are cocked either on opening (many/most o/u), or on closing (most s/s)

Edited by JohnfromUK

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

When you say "the top lever", do you mean the lever is stiff to move across, or that the gun is stiff to open/close?

If it is the lever movement that is stiff, I don't think the ejectors will make any difference.

Yes the top lever is very stiff to move across when both barrels have been fired, its also a bit "notchy" in other words feels a little rough when operating it.  The gun is fairly stiff to open and close but my son can deal with that.  I have to say that even I find it quite hard to operate the top lever when 2 carts have been fired (no I am not an 8 stone wimp!!).

43 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Yes the top lever is very stiff to move across when both barrels have been fired, its also a bit "notchy" in other words feels a little rough when operating it.

This sounds to me like a 'metal picking up on metal' issue.  Firstly, the top lever operating the bolting mechanism holding the gun shut.  It doesn't cock the ejector springs.  I suspect the reason it is stiff after you have fired both barrels is because the 'shock' from firing will have pushed the bolts a tiny bit deeper into engagement.

I would put a little smear of grease (just a basic multi purpose grease such as from Halfords will do) on all of the bolting surfaces.  Can be done with your finger, or in small places, a cocktail stick or (clean end of) a matchstick.  Only needs to be a little smear on the surface.  You may need to do this each time you clean the gun, but the grease will prevent any 'metal to metal' contact.  This should prevent the metal picking up.  My Beretta did this when new (which was many years ago) and is fine now.  Look on it as part of the 'running in' process of a new gun.

If this doesn't work, you may need to take it to a gunsmith, as there may be some galling on the metal surfaces, but chances are a little grease will sort it.

Edited by JohnfromUK

A new gun can be a bit stiff however so this might just need lubricating and wearing in, sometimes post production and after being stored, in a gun shop and finally bought the factory greases can dry out. 

That being said i would suggest its worth looking at properly - The top lever usually just cams on the under bolt which lock the barrels shut, so the effort on the top lever should only be that of withdrawing the underbolt and the strength of the toplever spring. On Most mechanisms its the raising and dropping of the barrels which provides the motion to cock the firing mechanism or ejectors. It could be something as daft as an over adjusted toplever spring as on most modern over unders the toplever spring is a coil type spring which is preloaded by a small screw - if this screw is overly tight it could be binding up there also.

Client of mine came to me with a nice browning which he had had for nearly 8 years, the top lever was very very stiff. He thought it was just a bit tight being a new gun - 8 years down the line i saw him shooting with it on a pheasant day i was on, and he was seriously struggling with this top lever being stiff, i offered to look at it for him and the under bolt was such a bad fit into the bites it was binding and galling the metal this was not obvious until disassembled, which is why this toplever was so unbelievably stiff after all these years, it wasn't a safety concern as the under bolt was engaging well just fitting badly to the bites. A few strokes of a file in the right place and stoned back up to a mirror finish and the problem was alleviated.