Packham - when you thought it couldn't get stranger

JohnfromUK

31 minutes ago, Penelope said:

is it any different to feeding birds in the garden?

Yes - avian feeding is to maintain a stock that should be there - feeding an apex predator in a urban setting is at best ill advised and at worst dangerous as the increasing  number of fox attacks on domestic pets (and humans)  as well as spreading disease.   Artificially maintaining a preditor population in rural areas has multiple down sides that we are all here are aware of.

18 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Yes - avian feeding is to maintain a stock that should be there - feeding an apex predator in a urban setting is at best ill advised and at worst dangerous as the increasing  number of fox attacks on domestic pets (and humans)  as well as spreading disease.   Artificially maintaining a preditor population in rural areas has multiple down sides that we are all here are aware of.

+1

'Foxes should be able to live harmoniously amongst humans' ?
Yes, they will just eat everything else ! Cats, small dogs, chickens and your rabbits.

The man wants putting in a cage with some lions or tigers, and see how harmoniously he gets on with them.

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Strange - or downright bloody dangerous?

Which 3 species does the average Joe Bloggs shooter hunt?

Which 3 species has this man now decided to take a liking to?

Me a sceptic? Well, only inherently, by inclination and from experience.

I seem to recall some time ago a significant number of raptors including Buzzard and Red Kite were found dead somewhere up north, the protectionists immediately took to the media blaming shooting! Then It all went deathly quiet, when a rumour started to circulate that they died after being fed contaminated meat, at a protectionist feeding station!.......

Roadkill meat? Hardly safe! Who knows whether the creature was sick prior to being squashed or what it died from?

9 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

avian feeding also contributes to the grey squirrel population by providing an artificial food source, it also bolsters the urban predator population by supporting prey species, not only the species of bird but also mice and rats. 

16 hours ago, poontang said:

I've got a freezer full of roadkill and head shot rabbits from the local gamekeeper. I use them to bait buzzards to a couple of my photography hides. Even had a red kite scoffing on one last week. 

https://imgur.com/y1LLYtM

https://imgur.com/VL3nWe5

nice pictures, i was told last week that up in Scotland they are/ were using non toxic pellets to dispatch trap caught squirrels then using them at feed sites for red kite reintroduction.