Shooting Sunday

Fisherman Mike

I am intending to shoot Sunday on a new shoot basically a rape field with woodland on one side and new drillings on the other..

I went and saw the farmer a week ago and asked his permission and he was only too pleased for me to shoot because a large flock was roosting in the adjacent woodland..

I had observed the birds there for 2 to 3 weeks previously.

To my dismay when I popped in on my way home from work on Wedneday last to tell him I would be over on Sunday he had bought and was using a new gas cannon.

He has promised to turn it off tonight (Friday) and leave it off all Saturday..

Do you think I would be wasting my time and the birds would have been spooked by the cannon or would the removal of it for a day make any difference...

FM

The birds may have been put off by the gas cannon, but they may not have been.

If they are dropping in between "bangs", which is what they usually do, it could mean a good days shooting, because they are usually quicker to return after gunfire.

I have had good shooting, the opposite end of the field to a gas cannon. :P

The best shooting I've had on crows in recent years was on a drilled barley field that was about an inch heigh. There were three other fields around this one that had bangers on them and the birds were getting pretty used to the noise.

They just kept coming and coming, you couldn't get the cartridges in quick enough. The birds were stacked up behind each other and even when you shot, the ones at the back were so used to the noise they just kept coming. I ended up with 101 for 150 shots in 3 hours, ran out of cartridges! :P The sport could be good if their getting used to the noise and the fields big enough. Good luck.

Mark.

Gas guns are normally the kiss of death to a good days sport - I hope you shoot a few but I doubt that you will, if it has only been turned off for 24 hours previous.

The only time that the pigeons will ignore them and keep flighting in is when they are literally starving due to prolonged snow cover which prevents them from feeding.

Please let us all know how you get on.

Well, I went boys and got very Cold and Wet,

There were plenty of Birds moving about but the wind was very strong and those birds that did move to the decoys were coming in with the winds behind them at high speed

Shooting was very difficult with very high birds on the flightline obviously intent on feeding somewhere else.

I managed to shoot 7 birds for 26 cartridges... Not a good return I Know but I have never shot in more difficult conditions...

Packed up at 2 because I was cold and the wind had got up so much that the decoys on the rotary were being blown about so much...

Guess what after a 10 minute walk to my truck the sun came out and the wind dropped off, driving up the lane I looked back across the field and about 30 pigeons pitched into the rape about 20 yards from where my decoys had been !!!

Although the cannon had been turned off. There was another a couple of miles away on a neighbouring farm that appeared to keep the birds moving about..

Going back on Wednesday.. weather permitting..

FM