Snake bite and lungworm

getthegat

Hi, anyone had any dealings with a dog getting bitten by an adder? A friend's dog recently had a narrow escape and as there are supposed to be more around this year and we're off to France next month with dog in tow, it's worrying me a bit. I've heard Benedryl is a good one to carry. Also my dog is a terror for drinking out of puddles and ditches, so lungworm is also a worry. I know I won't stop her, but any recommendations on a prevention prescription?

8 hours ago, getthegat said:

Hi, anyone had any dealings with a dog getting bitten by an adder? A friend's dog recently had a narrow escape and as there are supposed to be more around this year and we're off to France next month with dog in tow, it's worrying me a bit. I've heard Benedryl is a good one to carry. Also my dog is a terror for drinking out of puddles and ditches, so lungworm is also a worry. I know I won't stop her, but any recommendations on a prevention prescription?

Advocate prevents worms including lungworm and heartworm. It also treats fleas. Its prescription only.

Milbemax wormer prevents lungworm as well.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I had a lab bit by an adder a few years back, my auntie had one of her cockers bit a couple of weeks back. Both dogs had vet treatment and spent a few hours there but released the same day with no long term effects accept to my wallet. 

Basic symptoms swelling to the bite area, lethargy, drooling, increased heart rate and a bit wobbly. If your dog gets a bite it’s best to carry the dog or a slow walk, call the local vet and let them know your on your way so they can get everything ready for your arrival.  

A good friend had a near miss with her young Shorthair Pointer recently, adder bite in rear paw, it had to have IV and stay at vets for 3 days. If it had been at the front end, it could have been fatal apparently. Freaked me into researching advice. My Sophie spends a lot of time in the fields, in and out of ditches and hedges etc. Many thanks for the great comments.

my springer got bit on the cheek couple of years ago in the morning was home  from the vet by 6pm

she jumped back so went over to the spot and saw the adder , it was curled round a hole to assumed it was a nest..

she was a bit of a mess face like elephant man drooling and generally looking sorry for herself.

had IV and steroids if i recall but was ok after a while,year before next doors greyhound died at the vets after an adder bite in the same area all down to how much venom they inject and how old it is i surpose.

when she first arrived they were talking about possibly having to give an  antivenom injection @ £400 but was not required

!!!! .

we live by the coast which is a really bad area for adders so i avoid it especially  the rocky  heather areas they enjoy suning themselves on.

Edited by Remimax