Baltic winds return to the Wolds.

JDog

Mighty Mariner told me that he had spotted a few pigeons feeding on rape so we arranged to meet today. It was cold, very cold. The outside temperature was 9 degrees and with a 25 mph wind blowing from the North East it felt like a sub zero afternoon. If we were to shoot it had to be in the shelter of a hedgerow or tree line.

The patch of rape was 50m by 60m at most and as we watched from a distance a few birds arrived. Our positions were determined by the wind and as we headed that way another sixty birds flew from the trees nearby. Initially we had a floater and some dead birds on sticks. In the first hour we shot five, not that there were many more about. We did put the rotary out for the second hour and shot twenty five or so. These birds were all screamers, some coming across the strong wind, others entering the pattern from the other side and dropping straight in.

The shooting was as exciting as I have seen for a while and we did well to pick forty pigeons for our efforts.

thumbnail_20180523_150319_Tetford_May_18.jpg

I spent the morning mowing the starvation paddock for the wife horse in blazing sunshine I would have welcomed some cool breeze. 

Well done Gents sounds a fantastic sporting day all our rape is tall and yellow, we have a few linseed fields that the birds are looking at. 

A great day by all accounts well done.