Mitsubishi ends shogun production

BrowningDJC

apart from pickups are there any decent/proper 4x4s being made? most manufactures seem to-be going down the SUV route, with electrics controlling the AWD system and poor ground clearance, makes me wonder what our shooting wagons will be like in 10 years or so?  

45 minutes ago, old'un said:

apart from pickups are there any decent/proper 4x4s being made? most manufactures seem to-be going down the SUV route, with electrics controlling the AWD system and poor ground clearance, makes me wonder what our shooting wagons will be like in 10 years or so?  

Nope - and if you want petrol forget it unless you take out a second mortgage 

On 27/05/2018 at 13:37, old'un said:

I think Suzuki missed an opportunity with the Jimny, if they had made a few upgrades like a slightly bigger and more refined/efficient engine, plus a five door, long wheel base, I think it would have sold well.    

isnt that called the vitara?

• 10 months later...
On 27/05/2018 at 13:37, old'un said:

I think Suzuki missed an opportunity with the Jimny, if they had made a few upgrades like a slightly bigger and more refined/efficient engine, plus a five door, long wheel base, I think it would have sold well.    

You mean they should have come up with something like the Suzuki Vitara! oh hang on wait a minute, I think they did!

On 24/05/2018 at 09:32, old'un said:

You won't need a shooting wagon in 10 years if the anti's and the government get their way - there won't be any shooting. Well, not legally.

the richest man in the country (jim ratcliff , i think ) is spending  £600 million on a replacement for the DEFENDER , the engines are coming from B.M.W. so you won,t have to carry a bag of spanners around, going to call it the  GRENADIER, after the pub he drink,s in, he said it,s going to be a working  vehicle for farmers.

1 hour ago, scouser said:

the richest man in the country (jim ratcliff , i think ) is spending  £600 million on a replacement for the DEFENDER , the engines are coming from B.M.W. so you won,t have to carry a bag of spanners around, going to call it the  GRENADIER, after the pub he drink,s in, he said it,s going to be a working  vehicle for farmers.

Actually that is what I was trying to say with the Jimny if they had made it bigger (long wheel base) and a better and more economical engine I think it would have filled the gap made by the end of production of the Land Rover.

The Jimny is a basic car with plenty of plastic for easy cleaning, its approach and reversing angle are good with short overhang, ground clearance is around 200mm could have done with a bit more, its got good articulation on the axles, plus if I am not mistaken a proper mechanical low box, it will never match a Defender’s ground clearance of around 325mm (unless you have it altered) but it could have been so much more, I think it would have possibly been a replacement shooting wagon for a lot of people who did not want something the size of a Nissan Navara, it may also have caught the eye of a few farmers.

We want something that is big enough to get all our gear in, is good off road and can be washed/wiped down inside and out without worrying about getting the crushed velour seat material, or leather all wet and muddy.

I bet the replacement for the Defender with a BMW engine is not going to be cheap.

I had a Mitsubishi Pinin for about 10 years and found it a good little all rounder for a small car. Reasonably good on and very good off road, having low ratio and diff lock. Not particularly very economical, but what 4x4 is ?

Only problem was knocking out several exhausts whilst off road. Got it welded up many times at about £40 each time but served me well. I know that they were prone to rust problems, but I would get another one tomorrow if they still made them.

OB