Shooting feral pigeon in my garden.

markm

On 24/05/2018 at 16:18, bruno22rf said:

I don't get all the pussy footing around - is this what we have become? scared of shooting vermin on our own property in case the neighbours get a little upset. Shoot the wretched things and if next door are not happy then explain that if they did not feed the birds they would not be there - I live next door to a bunny hugging CID officer but that will not stop me shooting the pigeons off my raised beds or the doves that constantly try to get under my gutters to nest.

I'd have to agree with this. Just get it done. 

17 hours ago, Mice! said:

IMG-20180526-WA0001.jpg.6c81bf136b3c1e0f42fb19dd426d650c.jpg

wife spotted this today!!!

A typical over reaction by police but in todays environment not surprising. Around here it's not uncommon to hear the crack of a rifle or the boom of a shotgun. I know of one old dear who isn't averse to potting rabbits and pheasants from an upstairs window with her .22 or .410. No one bats an eye. I'm so pleased I live where I do. 

On 24/05/2018 at 20:04, Walker570 said:

Errr??? does the general license cover barn pigeons/ferals

Not knowing the actual physical layout of the properties it is impossible to give advice.  I have the occasional jackdaw appraoch my bird feeders and I have just shelled out cash I could use for a days shooting to clear out one of my chimneys, so they have to go. Air rifle from an upstairs window ..AA S200  .22 with moderator and neighbours are non the wiser.

Whatever, if you shoot within the curtilage of your property then any shots must stay within that area.

Yes, it does, suggest you read it.

On 24/05/2018 at 23:00, bruno22rf said:

PPP - interested to know what law I'm breaking - pests can be shot on my property so that's exactly what happens - as my FEO is fully aware of my actions and still sees fit to allow me a Firearms, Shotgun and Explosives licence them I'm guessing she is at a loss as well? I have an extremely good relationship with the local police to such an extent that most operators know me by my voice alone and I am in contact at least 50 times over the winter months so I'm also interested how I am a threat to shooting? 

Suggest you read and understand the General Licence, it’s nothing to do with FEO at all.. Ignorance of the conditions under which you control pests is no defence and plays into antis hands.

Why can you not highlight the relevant bits PPP? My mention of my FEO did not imply much other than she is aware of my shooting and seems in no hurry to remove my tickets - quite the opposite in fact. I have no doubt that there is something somewhere that I am side stepping but I take the view that going round trying to please everybody is a waste of my time - I believe that the more you allow others to tell you what to do then the more they will try and do just that. As for playing into the Anti's hands - where are these guys? Here in Bucks I have been shooting for 43 years and never been questioned about my actions - the only person so far to attempt to question my effects on the long term viability of Shooting is yourself. 

We have an overload of pigeons here due to mad bird woman across the garden wall ,at least 10 bird feeders and here own flock of doves living in the holes in her roof .Due to idiot neighbours and being overlooked shooting is not an option so big owl lives in our garden and they dont come in.

Ten quid plastic fake keeps them and their droppings away .Sad as i,d happily put them in a pasty but dont need armed response at the door due to next door loons ,anti,s of the worst kind imho 

22 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Why can you not highlight the relevant bits PPP? My mention of my FEO did not imply much other than she is aware of my shooting and seems in no hurry to remove my tickets - quite the opposite in fact. I have no doubt that there is something somewhere that I am side stepping but I take the view that going round trying to please everybody is a waste of my time - I believe that the more you allow others to tell you what to do then the more they will try and do just that. As for playing into the Anti's hands - where are these guys? Here in Bucks I have been shooting for 43 years and never been questioned about my actions - the only person so far to attempt to question my effects on the long term viability of Shooting is yourself. 

Hi

Dont forget, FEO cares about gun law, Vermin control is under general licence, FeO dont enforce general licence the wild bird act does.

its worth reading through, it’s not a long read

I agree just get the job done as quickly and quietly as possible.

BUT.... as we are touching on the legalities, no this is not covered by the General Licence which clearly states you can shoot them to stop the spread of disease, stop serious damage to livestock or crops, preserve public health and safety, and to conserve other wild birds. It states in black and white: You can’t use this licence to kill birds because they are damaging your property, such as your car or house, or if they’re a nuisance.

It always surprises me that members of a hunting forum don't know the ins and outs of the GL. I think it unlikely anyone would be prosecuted for failing to abide by the conditions, but if it was a free for all to shoot whatever birds were annoying you, there would be no need for a licence would there? 

As for FEOs not caring, why would they? It's not the law you are breaking but the conditions of the GL. Breaking the conditions can result in Natural England revoking your right to use the GL for up to 5 years, so you wouldn't be able to shoot any birds under the GL for 5 years.

As said above, I don't think it's likely anyone would ever be prosecuted for this but be aware there are conditions you need to meet to use the GL in the first place.

Edited by walshie

9 hours ago, old man said:

All wild birds, nests and eggs are protected in uk.

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Hence the general licence and it's conditions.

I I'm fully aware of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 but the posters assertion that there's some "wild bird act" just proved he doesn't really understand the licensing conditions of the general licence at all.

1 minute ago, Prospero said:

I I'm fully aware of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 but the posters assertion that there's some "wild bird act" just proved he doesn't really understand the licensing conditions of the general licence at all.

? Seemingly a lot of shooters are unaware?

1 hour ago, Prospero said:

Short hand, not everyone spends all day in front of the internet trying to troll people

So, what about pest control to protect *other* birds? I've got quite a few bluetits for example who like to nest around here, and last year I had magpies ganging them and killing the nests *twice* -- a whole gang of 6 of them making a racket as they were plundering the place.

I'm lucky to have the space and not being overlooked, so quite frankly I now kill any magpie I see around the garden... In fact I think they now "know" it and won't approach the place unless it's a 'new' couple trying to move in.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:18, Robertt said:

I am overlooked and have magpies etc giving me 2 fingers on a regular basis.

So very tempting and possibly lawful as it may be, I will not shoot anything near my house.

I stumbled onto an anti website discussing the same subject and they're advice was to say it was a FAC rifle in order to initiate a full response of armed police, helicopter, hostage negotiater etc etc.

They really don't give a fuque and their main concern is bringing a world of poo on our head's 

Unfortunately if you any type of firearm the best policy is don't put your head above the parapet. 

I agree, its not right but its sensible