Mosquito Repellent.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, billytheghillie said:

Avon, skin so soft ?

is this a real thing? I was out Wednesday evening, forgot my cap which usually has some repellent sprayed on it, had my hood up trying to minimize where they could get to, i must be tasty???

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

is this a real thing? I was out Wednesday evening, forgot my cap which usually has some repellent sprayed on it, had my hood up trying to minimize where they could get to, i must be tasty???

It does actually work. Another good repellent is Jungle Formula.

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

??

After washing shoot clothes they're rinsed in pemethrin and left to dry. Nets etc are treared with the left over mix. Seems to last for several washes and keeps ticks and other similar nasties away too.

I have used Avon skin cream when I can find it, but avoid Deet.

Talking to my clay shooting partner on this subject today who is of Scottish extraction, and he recommended a drop of ammonia on top of the shooting cap would ward off the wee beasties, well l think that's what he said !!

Anyway did as suggested and tonight when out nothing came near me, not even a bunny showed up, totally ruined my shooting cap though which is now covered in half inch white marks,??, wait till l see him tomorrow ?.

Awaiting delivery of Avon SSS and a new shooting cap?

I been taking vitamin b for six months, got bit Wednesday evening at Bisley, they must have had big teeth as each bite swelled up and was weeping for a couple days. 

Avon skin so soft does work but I found it has to cover all your exposed skin, the blighters will find the inch you missed.

deet is awful stuff. 

Skin So Soft won't stop you getting bit, you'll smell nice mind :lol:

Deet maybe awful stuff, but it works. For the midge I can put up without repellant by just staying covered, but then I've a fair bit of immunity, it's annoyance factor with the midge for me. Cleggs I can handle too, provided there aren't too many.

But mosquitos, especially our native variety, give me a horrid bite. I'm not that attractive to mozzies and one or two bites I can put up with but any more than that and it drives me nuts for days. 

Stay covered, use a hat and keep the breeze in your face, no breeze? stay home. 

On 24/05/2018 at 23:39, Mice! said:

it's ********!! Avon has never worked for me, just makes me oily but I still get bitten. 

I use Smidge which is about the best non deet repellent, but it only thins them out, doesn't stop them entirely.