Mosquito Repellent.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I don't use anything - cannot remember ever having been bitten, I must taste awful :unhappy:.

I don't normally, I've always put it down to the environment i work in. But lately sitting still waiting for squirrels its like someone has basted me for Sunday lunch.

8 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I don't normally, I've always put it down to the environment i work in. But lately sitting still waiting for squirrels its like someone has basted me for Sunday lunch.

Yes, but you were in the middle of a bunch of lakes! ?

Non-deet repellant is a deterrant with 2 to 4 hours protection from landing on you

Avon, makes it uncomfortable for them to bite you once they have landed.

Deet depending on strength can give up to 12 hours deterrance.

Permethrin kills them once they land on your clothes.

Thermacell (Allerthrin similar to Permethrin) kills them whilst still flying towards you.

When fishing in the trossachs lochs (midgie heaven) where even deet struggles due to sheer numbers, wearing a thermacell, i might end up with 1 or 2 bites over 4 hours evening fishing through to dark.

One of the bailiffs at the fishing club lounges round on the platform in shorts with his top off whilst everyone else zips into their bivvies with mesh mozzie  panels on the front. He puts his lack of bites down to taking garlic tablets before his season kicks in. Never tried it myself, but that's what he told me. 

I have another mate who fishes in Scotland a lot and he reckons the midges are not really deterred by anything - and he assures me he's been through the lot. At least you have soft skin after using the Avon SSS ?

Try Aldi,s spray ,works for me .Spray trousers jacket and me in it and they stay away also seems to keep ticks at bay so cant be bad .They also do wrist bands soaked in similar if they bite you after all that you must be tasty very very tasty

I use a type called herbal armor (u.s spelling)- essential natural oils based, no nasty stuff. As above stay away from deet, it's effective but I have  seen it eat paint like brake fluid, so probably not great for skin!

Herbal armor was the only thing I found very effective against zambezi tsetse flies and the Mozambique coast mosquitos, and smells good too.

Got my last lot online.

Well the Avon SSS arrived this morning and the first thing that struck me was the smell of it, took me back to the days when my farther would take me for a haircut, sat on a board placed on the barbershop chair arms before being wrapped in a gown and given the SBAS's.

This stuff smells exactly the same as the stuff used all those years ago in the barber's.

Tonight weather permitting we shall see if the mosquitos find it appealing or not.

9 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Well the Avon SSS arrived this morning and the first thing that struck me was the smell of it, took me back to the days when my farther would take me for a haircut, sat on a board placed on the barbershop chair arms before being wrapped in a gown and given the SBAS's.

This stuff smells exactly the same as the stuff used all those years ago in the barber's.

Tonight weather permitting we shall see if the mosquitos find it appealing or not.

Forgotten all about that. Those were the days.

lavender oil diluted 50/50 with isopropanol and liberally smeared wherever the monsters can bite.....

though do try a small area of skin first ...some folks may get a skin reaction to such a strong coating of essential oil.

seems to keep the bugs at bay in our woodland, including the flying dragons (horse flies)

and of course...you smell wonderful.....

Edited by victorismyhero

On 25/05/2018 at 18:17, seeker said:

??

After washing shoot clothes they're rinsed in pemethrin and left to dry. Nets etc are treared with the left over mix. Seems to last for several washes and keeps ticks and other similar nasties away too.

I have used Avon skin cream when I can find it, but avoid Deet.

I live between Worcester and Stratford on Avon. Forget shooting.... We've had to buy a mozzy net for round the bed at night. The little fleckers still get me sometimes. I hate DEET. But i have to say after using DEET on my slap head, hands, wrists and arms, i was left alone last night. Just try and gently wash your palms, as boy does it burn your eyes, and elsewhere!!!  ?

Edited by jam1e

Spray your cutains with permethrin as they will nearly always land there first before venturing into the room.

Similarly spray the mozzie net as well.

My last house (falkirk) had persistant biting mosquitoes from may to oct, wife used to react badly to them (side plate sized skin  flare ups)

Spraying curtains knocked most of them down and commercial grade uv fly killer light like you get in a shop in hall until we switched lights off to sleep would deal with any that got in.

Edited by Stonepark

3 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

Told you so. It's ****. 

And your point is ? .

Do you not love it when your proven right ?

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've heard that the 'new' formula of Avon skin so soft doesn't have the chemicals that made the old formula good for a bug deterrent.

Yep l can go with that, attracts them like a soler beacon, felt like l was a McD in a Weight Watchers convention.

9 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

And your point is ? .

Do you not love it when your proven right ?

Yep l can go with that, attracts them like a soler beacon, felt like l was a McD in a Weight Watchers convention.

No point really. I'm just being a smug ****. 

11 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've heard that the 'new' formula of Avon skin so soft doesn't have the chemicals that made the old formula good for a bug deterrent.

I was told to use it as a student 17/18 years ago and it didn't work then. 

Her good self ordered us some of the avon stuff , and we used it in our woodland last weekend. It seemed to put the midges off a little, but didn't stop them altogether.  The main downside,  is that my arms have been red and itchy all week ?

Holiday in Loch Lomond a couple of years ago the only repellant that worked is in the link below.

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/insect-repellents/expedition-100-plus-spray

SSS has never worked for me even years ago before they've changed it, if they did.

Must work for some though, caravaning at Kielder 10 + yrs ago the site sold loads of SSS.