Mosquito Repellent.

Years ago i used to do a lot of sea trout fishing during the night one part of the river was deadly for  mosquitos.

I used to cover the peak of my fishing cap with old spice after shave never got bitten once my brother and mate used to get eaten to death 

Edited by hawkeye

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on Avon SSS, by all accounts l wasn't using enough according to a college of mine, so last night l applied a liberal coating, to my face, neck and hands and ventured out, not a single mozzi came near me in the 3 hours l was out and there were a lot about.

So maybe it does work after all, will give it another go tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Update on Avon SSS, by all accounts l wasn't using enough according to a college of mine, so last night l applied a liberal coating, to my face, neck and hands and ventured out, not a single mozzi came near me in the 3 hours l was out and there were a lot about.

So maybe it does work after all, will give it another go tomorrow night.

Nah, it works by drowning them.

I live in the midge belt, we've also plenty mozzies ticks n' clegs and when the midge is really on you'd need to apply your own body weight in SSS to stop them nibbling. 

The only answer for biting insects is to stay covered, including a hat, the only skin exposed should be hands, back of neck ears and face, the only caveat is that with mosquitos, the clothes have to be mosquito proof. Tight weave rather than tee shirt.   

By staying covered I find I only need something perhaps 1 in 10 outings, and that something is deet based. My rational, if you're going to use something you might as well use something that works. In my time I've tried all the remedies, hippy holistic to hostile pharmo-chems and most simply don't work. Deet based does. As does baby oil recipes, 1000:1 baby oil to diesel, but who wants to be lubed up like a turkish wrestler?

This is what I'm talking about:   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-44389775/midges-swarm-in-argyll  

It's situations like that I apply some deet, it doesn't keep them away but they won't land. Go solo SSS at your peril.   

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Jungle Formula works, but you have to be careful when using it near your eyes.

Sure does, when I apply it I put a good skoosh on my palms rub it round the back of my neck and ears, suck my lips in and screw shut my eyes. then rub the residual on my face. Another half skoosh for my wrists and the back of my hands. Job done.

Like the eyes you don't want it on the lips :no:  I don't use repellent much but when I do, it's jungle formula. I still have the tail end charlie of an original formula bottle I've had for 20 years which lives in my fishing bag. Jungle Formula Tropical is similar to the original JF recipe. 

4 hours ago, 30-6 said:

How, if using skin so soft, which must contain perfume, are you able to get near a rabbit ?

won't make a difference if you are wearing skin so soft or not. If you approach with the wind on your back they will smell you. Basic fieldcraft. Keep downwind of your quarry. 

For the first time ever, I have had a reaction to gnat/midge bites. Last Friday night I was up on the farm and there were 100's of them. The worst part to be bitten was my right wrist. Usually get a reaction but this time my wrist has got small blister type bumps on it that itch like hell. Stupidly, I didn't have any spray deterrent on.

Really the best thing is a midge jacket (hoody with face viel) i live in a wood full of midges (althou mibee's not as bad as Uilleachan in Wester ross) if it wasnae for the jackets i wouldnae get much done outdoors at night, even training the dogs.

I refuse to use deet, if something can melt plastic spraying it on ur skin every day does not seem to be a good idea.

I used to use SSS but not so much nowadays, i do think Smidge works fairly well but can sting ur eyes a wee bit if ur working/sweating.

Planning to plant some Bog Mrtyle plants this weekend round my kennels as that seems to keep midges away

On 12/06/2018 at 09:25, scotslad said:

Really the best thing is a midge jacket (hoody with face viel) i live in a wood full of midges (althou mibee's not as bad as Uilleachan in Wester ross) if it wasnae for the jackets i wouldnae get much done outdoors at night, even training the dogs.

I refuse to use deet, if something can melt plastic spraying it on ur skin every day does not seem to be a good idea.

I used to use SSS but not so much nowadays, i do think Smidge works fairly well but can sting ur eyes a wee bit if ur working/sweating.

Planning to plant some Bog Mrtyle plants this weekend round my kennels as that seems to keep midges away

They reckon the old crofters used to stuff their mattresses with Bog Myrtle to keep insects at bay. 

Avon Skin so soft used to work and i still have some old formula but you have to lather yourself in it, if they are really hungry it don't work at all.

I have been eaten every time i shoot at Bisley on a wednesday night, apart from last night when i used Jungle formula DEET. Detest the smell but it works.

Bog Myrtle in and off it's self doesn't work. The west highlands is covered in the stuff and also covered in biting insects and in plague proportions. 

I have had some limited success with myrtle oil based repellents, the one that worked (a bit) is no longer available. I didn't use it much as original formula Shoo was still available.  

A pal and I were at "the brammer loch", some years ago now, a stunning fishing loch and when it's on, it's really on. But being sat in a sheltered bowel, it's a terrible spot for the midge. As is often the case, the better the fishing the worst the midgies and on this occasion, truly diabolical.   

No repellent, so what to do? We ground up handfuls of myrtle with shore sand and water to make a green slimy myrtle paste which we dubbed on our exposed skin. 

Didn't work. 

My pal and I still laugh about that evening 20 years on. Not the ravaging, we're old hands at hill loch fishing and treat getting BTF as an occupational hazard, rather it was looking like a pair of extras from the movie Platoon, BTF and looking like a pair of eejits into the bargain.    

As I mention previously if I need to use something in similar situations I go for my old trusty bottle of Jungle Formula, but it has to be bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

I stick the horse out in his paddock as I go out to shoot. I spray him and I in whatever the better half buys for him and it seems to work. 

On 09/06/2018 at 11:04, Uilleachan said:

As does baby oil recipes, 1000:1 baby oil to diesel, but who wants to be lubed up like a turkish wrestler?

Does going out smelling like a very sexy Landrover really work? 

12 hours ago, Wb123 said:

I stick the horse out in his paddock as I go out to shoot. I spray him and I in whatever the better half buys for him and it seems to work. 

Does going out smelling like a very sexy Landrover really work? 

It's not the smell, it's the surface tension/tackiness of the oil that makes it difficult for them to get a bite.

As a youth I did a couple of summer stints dragging in the wood. As a cable monkey I was usually on the move and running around in cleared areas behind the cutters, so it was the guys on the saws working in semi cover that would get bothered much more than us.

Baby oil + special ingredient remedies were used by quite a few, and were effective. But really only suited for prolonged periods out in conditions where it's only the biting insects and you. Anyway, with that kind of heavy dirty work you're going to need a dammed good wash when you're done anyway, so whats a little more grime? 

I wouldn't be rubbing it on for a night out or a barbbi in the garden, it's not for polite company.