Releasing foxes?

walshie

A couple of years ago, we were shooting at a golf club and I could see a pair of eyes peering out from under a bush. With catlike stealth I maneuvered round so I could get a shot at it from the side. It was just laying there and making no effort to get away. After I took the shot, I walked up to it and it had a large shaved area on it's back leg with a line of stitches up it. When I picked it up the leg was all floppy like it was broken. 

Roads border the golf club in a few areas. I can only assume it had been hit by a car, treated by a vet, released, then hit by another car. I don't think any vet would release an animal with it's leg still broken. It can't have been a member of the public that took the fox to the vets and I don't think a vet would treat a fox for free.

Wednesday night we were out on the same course. We were on the next hole along to where I shot the injured one. A dog fox ran across the fairway in front of us. A quick squeak to make it stop and the v-max did it's job. It too had recently been treated by a vet. A patch about 3" square had very recently been shaved on it's hip. The hair hadn't even started to grow back yet. In the middle of this area was a round scab with stitches clearly visible in it.

Whoever is doing this couldn't be releasing foxes in the streets, so must be releasing them on the golf course without permission.  

Who would do this?

18 minutes ago, martyn2233 said:

RSPCA 

+1 the muppets .

had exactly the same situation on the estate I shoot on ...

but we seen a white van acting suspiciously so we drove over to have a look but as we got close it drove off but not before we got the reg number

we phoned the keeper who in turn got in touch with the police and handed over the details [as part of a police run thing called farm watch] a couple of days later the keeper rang to say police had been in touch with him and the van was registered to ................................................ yep you guessed it

the RSPCA and two nights later we shot a dog fox with a shaved patch and stitches along with another couple over the following week that seemed like urban foxes as they were in no way scared of us getting to within a couple of yards of them

thank you RSPCA best few days on Charlie we had

Over the past 20 or 30yrs maybe more I have shot dozens, six I remember on one night which just sat and looked at us, not wild countryside foxes for sure. Had one with three legs and it looked like it had been shampooed and a healed scar where the other leg had been amputated.  Do not see them so often these days on the areas I control foxes. Abergavenny area used to be rife with dumped foxes in the 80s.

Round London, most pest controllers that trap foxes re-release them. I am tempted to say they all do it these days. Not many pest controllers would have a legal way of killing the fox or legally disposing of the carcass without incurring huge cost. 

So they take them for a drive and turn them loose, not even to the country, just a car park or sports field a few miles up the road. Its not illegal to release a fox so they don't worry about being seen.

Edited by Vince Green

We manage Fox's on a free range poultry unit which is set in a keepered  estate.  We always shoot one or two each visit but we turned up one night and seen about a dozen around the units all looking bemused.  Shot nine in about half hour.  Two had the fur on  there back legs shaved off in a three inch square. Bad enough releasing them in the first place but to dump them on a poultry unit goes to show the mentality of these people. 

Same here, counted 11 released one night, we even stopped the van and explained what would happen. Haven’t seen them since.. two anomious guys wearing RSPCA fleeces ( a career in MI6 seemingly alluding them)

They were doing it Sussex way too and again the maccy D foxes were totally out of their depth in the countryside .No real hunting skills and totally oblivious to human danger .The loons releasing them this way hadn,t got clue 1 they were actually causing the early death of these animals by placing them in a strange place .A surge in fox numbers followed by a surge in fox shooting as farmers want them gone.

On 25/05/2018 at 08:23, walshie said:

A couple of years ago, we were shooting at a golf club and I could see a pair of eyes peering out from under a bush. With catlike stealth I maneuvered round so I could get a shot at it from the side. It was just laying there and making no effort to get away. After I took the shot, I walked up to it and it had a large shaved area on it's back leg with a line of stitches up it. When I picked it up the leg was all floppy like it was broken. 

Roads border the golf club in a few areas. I can only assume it had been hit by a car, treated by a vet, released, then hit by another car. I don't think any vet would release an animal with it's leg still broken. It can't have been a member of the public that took the fox to the vets and I don't think a vet would treat a fox for free.

Wednesday night we were out on the same course. We were on the next hole along to where I shot the injured one. A dog fox ran across the fairway in front of us. A quick squeak to make it stop and the v-max did it's job. It too had recently been treated by a vet. A patch about 3" square had very recently been shaved on it's hip. The hair hadn't even started to grow back yet. In the middle of this area was a round scab with stitches clearly visible in it.

Whoever is doing this couldn't be releasing foxes in the streets, so must be releasing them on the golf course without permission.  

Who would do this?

Cat like stealth ........

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

This is literally criminal but I know somebody who charges for live catch and releases them back in the same estates of very well off customers. Offers the dispatch option but they always want catch and release. Makes a tidy living too. Pretty sure it's an offence tho.

can't see what is illegal about it  

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Years ago a Mate watched 56 foxes released behind a Shell Petrol Station out in the Fens to the east of Peterborough, these charities really do not think these things through properly. 

Oh, I don't know. You could argue that they do a brilliant job. The well paid employment is virtually a sinecure. The hoi polloi consider them to be the good guys so will continue to respond handsomely to their begging - which is ably underpinned by various media bodies -  thus securing said employment/pensions. You can be absolutely certain that if they had to generate their operating income from within house as we do, things would be a lot different. They're on a winner!