A sporting day in good company.

JDog

Yesterday morning I joined Ginger Cat to look at a late drilled barley field. The field must have been drilled a week earlier as the grain was beginning to sprout but work commitments on his part prevented him shooting it any earlier.

The wind from the east was strong and cold and we chose to be in the shelter of a decent hedge. We set up 30m apart with the decoy pattern made up of fuds, plastics and some real birds. In the time we were there it would be fair to say that we didn't see many pigeons but those that we did see committed readily to the pattern and we shot 15. Once we had shot a crow and placed it out others started to take a closer look and paid the price and we shot 12 of those.

In the afternoon I had an appointment with Clodhopper who took me to a remote pond so that I may try to catch a tench for the first time in fifty years. The pond itself was a little oasis of reeds surrounded by hawthorn bushes in full flower. Mallard, Reed warblers, Whitethroats, Pigeons, Swifts, Swallows and the odd Carrion crow all made their presence felt during our time there. Luckily I did manage to catch a tench and even though it was only a tiddler I was pretty elated. I also caught a bream and an eel. My companion caught a tench, several bream and a crucian carp.

I drove home in the dusk and saw Barn owls hawking for their prey. It was a very satisfying day.

IMG_0099.jpg

1 hour ago, JDog said:

IMG_0101.jpg

The photograph does not do the size of the eel justice. It was massive and could easily have bitten your arm off!!  You were very brave dealing with that on your own.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

you will be tuna fishing off grimsby next..........what with all these new sports you are taking up....lizard shooting in the congo.and god knows what..

There are lots of things you can catch in Grimsby.

11 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

The photograph does not do the size of the eel justice. It was massive and could easily have bitten your arm off!!  You were very brave dealing with that on your own.

crabs ?

On 25/05/2018 at 17:24, Clodhopper said:

and not just fish lol