"im mainly..doin'stuff"

ditchman

Most of you remember my Merc mod' S rebuild thread....well the upshot was it didnt shoot straight when i had finished.....so i left it alone   and revisited the rifle a couple of days ago..what i had done thus far (on the thread) was...

1. strip 
  2. clean (full of grease and oil)
  3. polish all internals
  4. new Titan XS spring (as recommended by several folk on the net)
  5. new rubber (rebound thingy)
  6. new o ring
  7. new axis pin
  8. new barrel seal

and a few other things.....the gun from new had not been finished off properly..........so i test fired it and it shot 8" low at 10 yards....barrell not aligned with the compression chamber....and the pellets were everywhere 4" group best i could get..............

so i left it ...until a couple of days ago...

stripped it all down again....back end was fine (spring...piston..and stuff)...........so i turned my attention to the barrel alignment....put a straight edge on top of the chamber where the scope sits...end of the barrel (where the front sight would sit.)...1/2" low !!!!...i worked out that the compression chamber port which i polished and chamfered from the inside would be marrying up with the forcing cone of the barrel (the bit where the pellet sits)   only 2/3rds visible....air is like water...it dont angles....straights and gentle curves.....

so i tap the holding pin out where the detent lock ...locks into/onto....and shave about 2mm off one side and refit it until the chamber and barrel are aligned.....now the barrel port and forcing cone are both exactly in line....................

took it to chris at Eastern gun company...i bought it from him several months ago...and he chrono'd it at 7ft/lbs.....when i bought it then as a rebuild jobby...............anyway.....he chrono'd it this morning...and in the back room i could hear him interspersed by gaffaws of laughter......he came out and said........

"youve made a superb job of the re-build ...it is so smooth to cock and fire....spring feels too strong tho'...trigger pull is perfect................there is a problem" he says.............

"ive chrono'd it 6 times and taken the average..................which is..................................

.................20.1ft/lbs...:lol::lol:......

no wonder it wernt shooting straight....so we have ordered up a spring ...he recommends...and i have left it with him to fit and test...i want 11.5-11.8 ft/lbs....................

so watch this space...oh...and im ordering up a natty tacticle scope for it to keep the weight down.....

2 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Give 'im a peashooter and get back a bofors.

if i would have gone off down the road with that...and got stopped by the ole bill....i would be doin 10 year stretch.:lol:.................when i researched what spring to put in it to produce sub 12ft/lbs...5 of the web sites recommended the titian xs spring.......i knew to steer clear of those ox springs ..as they would rattle the gun to bits and accuracy would be awful.............its just the other "bits" ive done to it and using dry graphite as a lube that has thrown it over the limit...

32 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have literally just put the phone down from talking to PC Snakehips of the Norfolk Constabulary based in Norwich. sHe plans to visit you quite soon to discuss your weaponry.

snakehips has already checked my weaponary...she commented that it was nicely kept and well oiled..........i daresay she will come again in due coarse.

Edited by ditchman

2 hours ago, rovercoupe said:

Down gas hill with a stiff breeze behind you?

that gas hill is some hill...just imajine your brakes failing,,,,you would riqochet all the way down.....across the wensun straight into the choir stalls in the cathedral...........

51 minutes ago, clakk said:

Joking aside kind sir ,you could cut a couple of coils off to reduce the power of your anti aircraft gun .As long as you machine /file /grind the end nice and flat you can drop the power without extra expense atb

its in the gunshop....he wouldnt let me take it away...he has found and original merc S spring and is going to fit it today or tomorrow.........he's only charging me a tenner ..but i will be buying a scope off him anyway........

Tis the law  ,he knows it,s a tad over 12ft/lbs so he cant let u have it whilst it,s FAC rated as you dont have it on ticket but worth a suggestion if he,s willing to chrono it for you after you fettle the spring .The Mercury spring may only give you 9/10 lbs/ft so as you already bought the Titan its yours to  tweak till you get sub 12 for legal fun .My Titan in my HW97 came in a Welsh willy kit  pre cut to be legal which took 10.3 to 11.6 constant using R.W.S .Fields in .22 atb and happy fettling