The making of Handmade Turnscrews.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, iano said:

Please forgive me for asking, but what exactly are they / are they used for? 

They look superb - excellent craftmanship. 

They are for undoing and tightening the screws/pins on shotguns. Didn't you read Demonwolf444's wonderful post at the start of this thread?

Making a solid metal pattern might be limiting - its a big undertaking however the variations i can get of one pattern are practically limitless depending on how the material is prepped before it is loaded in to the machine.

Here are some beautiful variations on the pattern - These are destined for a gunmaker and friend with serious skill.

Left - Original Pattern.

Center - Octagon Pattern. - These are from best English air dried fiddle back ash - Supply is limited and prepping the blanks take some - So they are a bit on the bloody pricey side of things.

Right - Slab sided Pattern - These are idea for turn screws going in to gun cases and such. Simple and understated - I had our friend Feltwad in mind for some of these!

Untitled.png.e6a7e275011da27f8ccffa41aea23813.png

More soon Gentlefolk!

The handles above are now in the hands of one of the best gun makers around!

Progress update - a large quantity of handles have been turned and im grinding all the blades today and should have them all put together by tomorrow!

There will be a number of orders going out at the end of this week all being well, and some ( you awkward ******* who wanted something a little different ) will be going out early next week. Some beautiful handles mixed in with the batch, though in my view from the plain to the extraordinary each is beautiful in its own way!

Grateful for each and every order, in supporting my workshop and business, and for your appreciation of what i hope you will agree is fine work and quality tools.

All the best

James.

• 2 weeks later...

production issue this week, bought a crappy band saw blade and its thrown a spanner in the works; the blade has done zero mileage was brand new last week ( the last one did half a year! ) for cutting out the blades, its a false economy buying another cheap one but the soonest i can get a decent one is Monday. The blunt blade doesn't just cause slow cutting, O1 tool steel from which the turnscrew blades are made work hardens, so the blunt blade will cut about 2mm before turning the tool steel rock hard, resisting cutting and worsening the effect. The tools WILL be assembled and go out next week. I did not anticipate this being a problem! 

Appreciate you bearing with me as this is very frustrating, more pictures to come next week as i get the tools assembled next week! 

Kind regards 

James.

Well Ive bought the most expensive bandsaw blade i could find! I hope it was worth it - just the waiting game for it to arrive then i can push forward once again! Looking forward to getting feedback from this batch and seeing what else i might be able to offer that would be of interest. The cogs are whirring!

James.

2 hours ago, demonwolf444 said:

Well Ive bought the most expensive bandsaw blade i could find! I hope it was worth it - just the waiting game for it to arrive then i can push forward once again! Looking forward to getting feedback from this batch and seeing what else i might be able to offer that would be of interest. The cogs are whirring!

James.

If they Starrett Bi Metal you wont go wrong.

Ive bought an axminster "premium" which has got the job done without any issues cutting through the steel like butter! Only issue i have with the blade is a missing tooth where it has been welded which occaisonally stalls the blade if it gets caught, annoying in a "premium" item but not the end of the world, heat treatment is underway today!

Some updates with pictures for people to drool over!

Here we have the batch of blades ready for heat treatment in the little oven!

heattrear.png.5d21d9c8aca225206d731d299fbe3187.png

The blue grey is just from a solution which i store the blades in to prevent rusting while i work on the batch! ( baking powder and water if anyone is interested. )

From this post we have a few bespoke requests - some slab sided ones are in production for Mr Feltwad for his gun cases, some have been specially picked out and french polished for Mr Figgy - pictures of those to follow.

Impala59 wanted a turnscrew that would accept the magnetic bit holders offered by brownell's and other outfits and with it a holder for storing his bits which i will get to this evening. Since he is only wanting the one tool ive done something a bit special and fitted the tool into a felt lined solid oak block with a english walnut veneer. The bits may surround the tool but spacing is tight, he might need a specially constructed box to accommodate an extra layer to hold the bits. Trying to work this out!

tsf.png.1dc73ce80317f72c06c212a200979dbe.png

Enjoy guys!

On 05/07/2018 at 14:22, demonwolf444 said:

(removed by Snip-o-matic)

Impala59 wanted a turnscrew that would accept the magnetic bit holders offered by brownell's and other outfits and with it a holder for storing his bits which i will get to this evening. Since he is only wanting the one tool ive done something a bit special and fitted the tool into a felt lined solid oak block with a english walnut veneer. The bits may surround the tool but spacing is tight, he might need a specially constructed box to accommodate an extra layer to hold the bits. Trying to work this out!

tsf.png.1dc73ce80317f72c06c212a200979dbe.png

Enjoy guys!

Oooh! That's rather yummy ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys and girls!

Number of sets of handmade turnscrews are available. I have PM'ed everyone who has expressed an interest to me privately in a set and hope you will all check your messages and let me know. I've produced a good sized batch and the custom orders that were requested but a postage address and payment will secure their new homes!

Please make contact if you are interested in a set!

Ill take some photo's of the batch and upload them here!

Kind regards

James