One for Ultrastu.

JDog

In the Autumn I intend to go to Puerto Rico to shoot Iguanas. These creatures are an invasive species with few natural predators and there numbers are rising exponentially and they need to be controlled by shooting. Air guns seem to be the obvious choice of weapon and I am wondering whether I should arrange to have a .22, a .30 or a .35 as my gun of choice?

Cheers jdog .

Ive seen the vids and read the articles about this igunana hunting .a lot of them are taken from high up in trees .so elevated shots. (Could be windy. ) 

You could be taking quiet a lot of shots also .so high shot count would help (that rules the .35 out .) 

So for a start id be a bit concerened as to where my pellet ends up  .after a tree shot .80 grns of .35 is bloody dangerous. 

Id go with a high velocity pellet .to help flatten trajectory of long range and make the elevatedshots easier ..

To be honest .if they have a .25 cal id choose that..the .22 will also drop them  well. But maybe the .30 cal over the .22 as it will really put a smack down on the lizards ,BUT its gonna be a big gun that uses a lot or air and kicks a bit .you will be for ever refilling ..

Forget the .35 .they are notoriously innacurate . (Just not enough research done into the pellets yet ) 

How often do you get to shoot a .30 cal airgun .? 

BEST OF LUCK MATE .

Wish id got that oppotunity .

Often though,  i believe that you can swop guns around with your shooting partners after lunch .so get to try them all .. But of those 3 id go with the .30 as long as the shot count was gonna be high enough or the guidefollows you with a big air bottle .

They tend to use hatsan airguns .so if its 1 of their bullpups you should be ok .

So lools luke they also provide a hatsan galation in .25 .

Just looked a the specs .

This will do 50 shots at 44 fpe .

The .22 will do .60 at 38 fpe .

The .30 cal carnivore  20 shots

And the .35  will do 12 .

Take these numbers and reduce them by 10 - 20 %  to get the true figure .and the is nothing to reccomend the .35 .

The .25 is the peach .followed equally by .22 or .30 .

IMG_20180525_173826.jpg

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I would like the thought of going to Puerto Rico , as for shooting iguanas with an air rifle , no thanks .

Why ? 

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So lools luke they also provide a hatsan galation in .25 .

Just looked a the specs .

This will do 50 shots at 44 fpe .

The .22 will do .60 at 38 fpe .

The .30 cal carnivore  20 shots

And the .35  will do 12 .

Take these numbers and reduce them by 10 - 20 %  to get the true figure .and the is nothing to reccomend the .35 .

The .25 is the peach .followed equally by .22 or .30 .

IMG_20180525_173826.jpg

Why ? 

Just wouldn't appeal to me ,  everyone to there own I suppose .

had a strange dream last night..............

JDog Motty & Muncher were off to Purto-Rico for lizard shooting in the autumn............JDog was there doing an instructional video about the vaugueries of lizard hunting in the jungle and motty was setting up a lizard pattern and a lizard magnet....muncher was off to one side making a jungle hide and setting up his lizard flapper.............

lots of air gun cam footage off a supercharged BSA Metor...showing the follow thro' and lizards bighting the dust....then at the end PC was there laying out neatly the lines of lizards for the group shot............

must stop eating cheese late at night............:hmm:

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

JDog Motty & Muncher were off to Purto-Rico for lizard shooting in the autumn............JDog was there doing an instructional video about the vaugueries of lizard hunting in the jungle and motty was setting up a lizard pattern and a lizard magnet....muncher was off to one side making a jungle hide and setting up his lizard flapper.............

lots of air gun cam footage off a supercharged BSA Metor...showing the follow thro' and lizards bighting the dust....then at the end PC was there laying out neatly the lines of lizards for the group shot............

must stop eating cheese late at night............:hmm:

And to pick up the lizard you will need a special dog 

suggest a snub nosed scaley backed long tailed jamacian terrier ??

commonly called a aligaitor 

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

must stop eating cheese late at night............

Did any of them get a double , or the ultimate gold medal award , the triple .

8 hours ago, ditchman said:

must stop eating cheese late at night............

Obviously they would need a Landrover to transport them, were you there taking photos for a thread on adapting an LR for carrying a sack full of slain Lizards through the jungle?

17 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Obviously they would need a Landrover to transport them, were you there taking photos for a thread on adapting an LR for carrying a sack full of slain Lizards through the jungle?

it would have to be some sort of "lizard recovery unit"............

this has possibly turned into the strangest air gun thread I've seen, don't think its the cheese, too many hours polishing pipes and mixing your meds with amber fluids.

made me laugh though, just don't watch any old sci fi films before bed for a few nights.

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

this has possibly turned into the strangest air gun thread I've seen, don't think its the cheese, too many hours polishing pipes and mixing your meds with amber fluids.

made me laugh though, just don't watch any old sci fi films before bed for a few nights.

:lol:...im not worried....you are the one going to bed..:lol: