Clothing

Wing it

Hello watchers 

I'm just starting out. Got my license and gun I'm now looking for some suitable clothing. I'm on a bit of a budget I'm looking for opinions on some of your experience with your own kit. 

I'm looking at waterproof trousers and jacket ( with lots of pockets ) and some windproof fleece's gillets etc . I've got a pair of Altberg boots which are first class but what about wellies. 

Any assistance and advice would be great recieved

Cheers 

Andy 

You are going to get a lot of opinions on these questions but here is my take.

Waterproofs in my experience do not get a lot better than Ridgeline who have a broad range cammo of and traditional in various price ranges. Many will say they are not the most breathable but they have always kept the weather out in my experience.

Fleeces can be bought cheaply and I find Regatta pretty good.  I have a leather gilet bought cheaply at a fair, and a couple of no name quilted jobs that cost nothing

Hoggs do a good waterproof baseball cap with pull down fleece over the ears for cold days. Indeed Hoggs do some good waterproofs generally.

Wellies, I hate and never wear them except for walking the dogs on the shore and cleaning the kennels. I always wear leather boots and gaiters. Incudentally my boots are Ridgeline bought in New Zealand or Georgia boots bought in America. I recently bought rubber and neoprene wellies from Mountain warehouse and they do my job. I would necer spend much on wellies as I would get a blackthorn or some such through them.

Hope my take helps.

Depends what shooting you are doing but I’d echo boots and gaitors over wellies unless you are attending several driven days per week and don’t have time to clean boots..

For clothing, Seeland and Deerhunter have proven good for me when cost conscious. However Musto stuff is great and lasts well so is good value in the long run.