Hide for rabbit control ?

30-6

Have a small field next to a friend's bungalow garden. It's an odd shape, and due to a main road and the bungalow am limited to direction of shot.

I usually sit up in the middle of the hedge, with my back to the road. I then have safe shooting out to 60 yds. I take sub 12 air, fac air or .22 rimfire as my mood takes me. Rabbit's are presenting themselves as close as 10 yds, but as I am just sitting there in the open am unable to turn without spooking them.

I was thinking of making a simple 4 pole and scrim hide that I could roll up to carry and erect in minutes to give me some sort of cover. Does anyone use a set up like this for rabbit or is it not worth it ?

I treated myself to a BushCraft pop up blind a year or so ago and it was money well spent. I use it mainly for ambushing deer and squirrel control, but it would work just as well with bunnies.

I'm fortunate that all my bunny bashing I can do from a static Land Rover with the 17HMR or the 22RF.   The blind is first class, plenty of room and zip windows on all sides. I adapted my  Stag seat with a rifle rest.  I think the blind was about £55.   The fun bit is getting it back in the carrying satchel as it has a life of it's own.

hello, i started years ago with a camo pop up with a seat inside, now it is 2 hide poles and about a 8 x 4  of that see through camo blind you can fold up and put in pocket, i have stitched some elastic to each corner and middle top/bottom, sometimes if theres a corner hedge you can tie in without poles, and a comfy seat helps 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I made a mini screen with some spare bamboo sticks from the shed and a 4x6' 'camouflage' net that my kids no longer wanted. It works! It'a a very good way of setting up in the middle of a field at your zero distance from a hotspot.

Pop-ups are good for this sort of situation, but I'd ask if it was possible to build something more permanent. Half a dozen pallets would be an easy scrounge I'm sure, and set up halfway along the hedge would make an ideal 'permanent' hide that you could encourage goose-grass (sticky willie) to grow up and 'naturalise' the hide. Pallets will also give you a firm and stable platform to use as a rest for the longer shots.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a 'pop up' TP  tent type for years , with a bucket seat with a swivel top . comfy and dry, should the weather change.

A flask , (compulsory) hobnobs  all add to the comfort . I've used it for  rabbits , squirrels ,foxes and pigeons , and its lasted 8 years so far.

It folds up circular an fits almost flat into a bag  that  you carry across your back.. Its a handy thing .