Good rat catch

30-6

I have mentioned before about a smallholder who grows fruit in her garden, and I trap a couple of moles for her,  the odd squirrel and used to get the rats around the dog kennel, the old dog is gone now and with no dog biscuits the rats have dispersed.

Part of the garden is sectioned off by low dry stone wall. Where she has apple and I think damson trees. She mentioned to me an old rabbit hole had been opened up and could I have a look. Quite a bit of throwout, so I put a mk 6 fenn in a tunnel tight against the hole. On checking the hole had been backfilled and closed, and a second hole further along appeared, again with a lot of throwout. I put a snare with a stop on it tight against this second hole, on checking snare had been moved, tried again and same happened.

Next plan, made a tunnel out of mesh fashioned to shape of area and buried a mk 6 fenn in amongst the loose earth. On checking had the biggest, fattest rat I have ever seen, had to be a pregnant. So a good result in the end and a very happy lady.

Word of warning to others though, as I had assumed this to be a rabbit, I was not wearing gloves, lesson learned.

• 1 month later...

Good catch with the fenn trap mate I made a couple of wooden tunnels for my fenn traps out of ply with good results I borrowed the traps to a local sheep farmer who was having trouble with rats first week he caught the odd rat second week he caught three in one trap which I have never seen before third week the young rats were running over trap not setting it off until he changed the bait from peanut butter to sheep cake which they were used too 5 young rats piled into tunnel killing 4 and catching 1 by the tale good old fenn traps

5EFAF27F-0014-4C1C-AC41-EF4BE58A532D.jpeg

07A02B7F-1341-4E67-94C8-3150D3B93408.jpeg