Yokel Mobile

johnnytheboy

So what do you think is the coolest old 4x4. I’m so bloody bored with my current car I want something a little more fun for the weekend! 

I am not going to start wearing a Patagonia cap, flannel shirt and growing a beard that uses more beard oil per mile than the car does but I do want an old 4x4 for the weekend and taking up the shoot etc! 

I love old J60 landcruisers but they are so scarce getting parts for it would worry me! I definitely don’t want to buy a defender as I have no inclination to spend all weekend in the drive with acetylene bottles swearing at my car. But I do want something that will give my neighbours mixed emotions of disgust and envy when it’s parked outside. 

Suggestions? 

4 hours ago, SpringDon said:

Surely the question you meant to ask is “what colour defender should I buy?” ( the answer is green)

Mentioned on the opening statement, I have no desire to be spending all weekend with acetylene in the drive mending things. Also why did they put the drivers seat so close to the door! ?  

One of the foreign ex army 4x4 would be my choice, like a Pinzgauer. Looked at a few online videos of converted ones, not cheap to buy. neither are Unimogs even in poor condition. G Wagons are still fetching silly money for being very heavy under powered and not nice to drive.

You want proper redneck get a Yank 4x4 like a jeep wrangler and fit a big v8 and a lift kit, some air horns forgot the proper name for them that play the Dukes of Hazzard tune.

Edited by figgy

21 hours ago, figgy said:

One of the foreign ex army 4x4 would be my choice, like a  Pinzgauer. Looked at a few online videos of converted ones, not cheap to buy. neither are Unimogs even in poor condition. G Wagons are still fetching silly money for being very heavy under powered and not nice to drive.

You want proper redneck get a Yank 4x4 like a jeep wrangler and fit a big v8 and a lift kit, some air horns forgot the proper name for them that play the Dukes of Hazzard tune.

The Pinzgauer are made in Guilford in Surrey, although it was made in Austria prior to 2000. They were originally made by Steyr Daimler Puch then the rights were sold to a UK company.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2018 at 18:17, Vince Green said:

Lots of cheap old 4x4s in the States, easier to import than you might imagine if you get one older than 10 years old you don't have to pay duty. There are companies that will do it all for you 

Who are these company’s? This could be the answer

9 minutes ago, johnnytheboy said:

Who are these company’s? This could be the answer

google 'importing a car from usa to uk'  there are dozens of companies  plus lots of websites offering "how to do it" advice

if you want to check out whats available and what sort of prices they are going for start on ebay usa but there are better sites once you get a bit deeper into it 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/05/2018 at 19:39, cuffy said:

Pinzgower or kubelwagon

Kubelwagan 2x2 only, great  fun, if I did not carry a spare wheel, hood, frame & all 4 doors fitted in the front boot, great open drive, but fatal if rolled!

On 26/05/2018 at 19:50, Yellow Bear said:

Haflinger

+1 For Steyr puch hafflinger, I missed one years ago when I had my Kublewagon, owner called it a Hamslinger