Proposed New European Motor Insurance Requirements

Brodie

I saw in a newspaper today that the EC intends to proceed with legislation that all motor vehicles must have third party insurance cover when used on private property.  If this goes through it will mean further costs for shoot vehicles. Also will insurers want proof basic maintenance and roadworthy before they provide cover.

Enforcement difficulty does not seem to fit into the political brain. It might, however, affect folk shooting on permissions. Farmers might start asking to see it like they do shooting insurance to ensure they are not liable as the landowner.

3 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Enforcement difficulty does not seem to fit into the political brain. It might, however, affect folk shooting on permissions. Farmers might start asking to see it like they do shooting insurance to ensure they are not liable as the landowner.

Of all the land I've shot over and still do, and in all the years I've been shooting, I've never once been asked to produce proof of insurance. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Of all the land I've shot over and still do, and in all the years I've been shooting, I've never once been asked to produce proof of insurance. 

Good point. I can only go on my personal experience. Perhaps I look suspect! I've even been asked on a beater's day when I expect I would be covered by the shoot insurance anyway.

As I understand it, all cars, even non runners will require insurance because it has provoked some discussion about cars that are SORN on the collectors car forums.

That's also how they can enforce it. They can already cross reference the DVLA database with the insurance database,  that ability means they can either issue a summons or more likely cancel your registration. Since the loss of the registration would effectively render the car valueless it would have a lot of clout

My tractor and ride on lawnmower have never been on the DVLA database - my brush mower is also self propelled - will that count? This whole thing seems to stem from a single accident where someone was injured on a farm - shouldn’t farm insurance cover this sort of thing?

https://www.abi.org.uk/news/news-articles/2017/08/prospect-of-owners-of-off-road-vehicles-needing-insurance-is------unnecessary-unworkable-and-unfair-says-the-insurance-industry/

This article is over 3 years old...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/560402/Brussels-EU-ruling-golf-buggies-lawnmowers-scooters-motor-insurance

Edited by spandit

5 minutes ago, spandit said:

My tractor and ride on lawnmower have never been on the DVLA database - my brush mower is also self propelled - will that count? This whole thing seems to stem from a single accident where someone was injured on a farm - shouldn’t farm insurance cover this sort of thing?

That's surely what public liability insurance is for! 

On 26/05/2018 at 19:56, Brodie said:

i have 30+ farms that i have shot on over the last 15 + years and never once been asked for my shooting insurance..

Does this include the "doughnut boys" on my local supermarket carpark :hmm:as the police cant catch their supped up Citroen Saxo,s and Corsa,s are they going to put camera,s there as well as on the motor way.300 years kicking Frog butt and 2 world wars against dem Germans so they invented a "trade agreement " to rule Europa as a double act ,boy we were sucker punched