A bit of market research

Ps .your web site is the key to success.

Give loads of infomation out ,  right across the board .from guns to ammo .and clothes. Set your self up as the friendly expert that gives information  away for free .

And you WILL have people come to you again and again .

Tell your secrets .hold nothing back .be totally up front with prices if asked .including how much you make from a deal .people dont mind paying for honesty . But cant stand to be had over for even less than £1 .

Always stock the little bits .like calls .and camo hats .pellet cases etc .

If ive driven to a shop i feel compelled to buy something just so ive not wasted the trip .and £15 on a new sling will do it .

I have no close gun shops with 15 mile drive to the nearest, the next 17 miles and all others over 20 miles. So distance is a major factor.  One I visit mainly because it has a good selection of wildfowling cartridges at a reasonable price. The others mainly to browse and often buy the odd item. But most of the larger shooting accessories are bought online or at country shows as none of my local shops can get anywhere close to the online price. Its nice to have a shop owner who you can have a chat to at times and I like to browse shops that I rarely visit ( due to distance). Its very rare I buy a gun , but all my guns have come from local gunshops. A good website would be useful and even better if it has up to date cartridge prices. I will travel a lot way for some cartridges at the right price or if they are hard to get hold of.

Simpsons of Newmarket is my local shop of choice. There are others slightly closer but I go there because they treat me as a valuable customer, even thought I'm not the biggest spender. They never let on that my custom is anything other than important. They share their knowledge and expertise freely, and that is why I spend what little I do with them, even though their car parking is non-existent. 

cause mine is open late on fri night...(9.30)...you can get coffee/tea....large ammounts of bovine excrement....2-300 second hand guns..from late 1800's to yeaterday all in loverly condition...4 racks of new stuff..and loads of dog stuff...........all family work there...

Attitude. 

All of the above but the attitude of the proprietor makes a big difference to me. Can't be doing with shops that are up themselves, if you're not spending X thousands etc etc. And there other extreme is the bloke who is super chummy while trying to charge well over the odds. 

Helpful, honest, professional, that's all I want. 

Bottle filling is a good idea, get em in the door as no one can resist buying shiny things while they're there. 

I have to agree with Ultrastu regarding the website. One of my favourite and local gunshops has an atrociously poor website; it's basically just a list of what he sells and which make of gun, but as to what guns he has in stock there's no reference. A bit frustrating at times. 

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have to agree with Ultrastu regarding the website. One of my favourite and local gunshops has an atrociously poor website; it's basically just a list of what he sells and which make of gun, but as to what guns he has in stock there's no reference. A bit frustrating at times. 

Yes sounds like the one I visit 

7 hours ago, vmaxphil said:

Ever thought about refilling air bottles, h&s might be a problem but it would bring in airgun trade if you could do it cheep enough

We collect bottles and get them filled twice a week by a guy who bought a compressor from me. 

I know we need to get the website sorted and sort of have that in hand. Just need to commit a little time to getting the website guy started.

To be honest the shop is probably as good as I can get it. I have always considered it well stocked with good variety. We cover new and used, cheap and not so cheap. It's very friendly and sociable and nobody is ever pushed to buy something just because we have it.

Thanks for the replies.

Edd