Homemade arbour press

2 hours ago, mick miller said:

How does it apply pressure to the cutter? Or do you press on the pulley?

Good timing....been a while since I’ve been on the thread.....

It’s just finger pressure on the side of the pulley......motor is positioned so when the pressure is released the belt running true just backs the cutter away by about 5mm from memory.

BCAD12C6-F1BB-4AEF-A29C-E7976E806DF7.jpeg

Edited by fizzbangwhallop
Photo

21 hours ago, John_R said:

Molten salt annealing perchance?

Correctamundo.......using the shellholder from Ballisticrecreations in Canada I was really impressed by the batch of .20Pracs I did. I usually use one of the syringe action pick up tools to hold the cases and twiddle them in a blowtorch flame but using the molten salt was straightforward and quick once up to temperature.

Each case was in to the count of 4 and then into the jug of hot water on the floor to wash any residue of salt off....well away from the Lee pot to avoid any water splashes getting near the salt. That wouldn’t be good.

2666C2F6-F325-46AC-8099-118512991477.jpeg

Extra

The 6” ruler sacrificed for my first build turned out to be too narrow for the intended rivnut...... this is my final version, all nicely tidied up and waiting for the next batch of brass. I built this rather than having to deal with the level of molten salt or faffing around with spacers to get the case necks to sit at the optimum annealing depth for the different calibres.

cheers

fizz

(more over here on ukv including people using pid to accurately control the salt temperature between the optimum 500-530c ..... the control on the Lee pot is a bit hit and miss...

http://ukvarminting.com/topic/45167-molten-salt-annealing-rig/

552EBF75-D033-4ECA-988E-D19DC74285A3.jpeg

13 hours ago, ditchman said:

some serious engineering going on here...................makes my hammer an chisel and file jobs look stoneage.............love the precicness of everything ..:good:

You summed it up on the first page Ditchie......

“seriously what is it all about ...the British love of sheds and fiddling about making stuff....

In my case, eBay was my friend for all the bits.....along with a lathe and a milling machine.

I’m just an assembler, although I will happily own up to resorting to a hammer and chisel many times over the years. 🤣👍

Cheers

Fizz

(What’s a ‘file’? 🤔   😂)

5EE7C084-5359-499B-A6A9-1426BA7E5C90.jpeg

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, ditchman said:

jejus christ thats sum serious ****...........love it:good:

Thanks.....

Took a bit of to’ing and fro’ing to get the wiring correct for the PID/ssr combination but we got there in the end and the inside now looks like this.....

Plan for tomorrow is to wire in a flashing led to show when the melter is heating.

First serious test will be sometime soon with another batch of .20Prac cases.

cheers

Fizz

59188745-3272-4928-BA3F-34E0B7F66819.jpeg

Text

21 hours ago, Gordon R said:

fizzbangwhallop - nice to see Riv nuts being used. Love them.

I agree with that, although I can’t claim any credit for the inspiration to use one....... that came from kevgun when he was making a new mount for my Mk1 Drone (and a very fine job he made of that too! )

2264AF71-27F0-4E4D-846B-08B00805A974.jpeg

It works, it works!!

Batch of 106 .20Prac cases annealed this morning... just over the shoulders. The last thing was the led that comes on when the relay is energised showing power to the pot.

Quite impressed with the controlled range of the pid..over the batch it only varied by a degree either way proving that there’s minimal loss in heating cases. I’ll be doing the next lot of cases at 500c going from pinkfoots experience over on the thread on ukv.

I got the deck height of the caseholder adjusted before the salt got too hot and galled the threads.

Cheers

fizz

237939DF-F653-4053-A758-CECAE6821313.jpeg

I rest my case.......🤣

F6C3C796-8BD9-4D96-8393-0C70BC4F31CB.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...