New kitchen ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

I need a new kitchen so should i go for the likes of Homebase, B&Q etc or go for something a bit more upmarket ?

I want something decent and going to last a while.

Thanks all. 

I use Howdens trade kitchens,but cheapest is a flat pack from b and q then choose good doors.

Secret to a good long lasting kitchen is to buy good quality doors,ie solid wood,then get a decent work top the best you can afford,dont use the sheds own make brands on taps and white goods,get well known makes and do some research to find the best.

Watch out because some designers will add in lots of bits you dont need and item price will be zero for each item knowing you cant credit them back,worst case i had was £800 of trifle parts added on,that i got taken off .

The units themselves will last forever,your kitchen will be way out of fashion before its given up the ghost.

1 hour ago, vampire said:

I use Howdens trade kitchens,but cheapest is a flat pack from b and q then choose good doors.

Secret to a good long lasting kitchen is to buy good quality doors,ie solid wood,then get a decent work top the best you can afford,dont use the sheds own make brands on taps and white goods,get well known makes and do some research to find the best.

Watch out because some designers will add in lots of bits you dont need and item price will be zero for each item knowing you cant credit them back,worst case i had was £800 of trifle parts added on,that i got taken off .

The units themselves will last forever,your kitchen will be way out of fashion before its given up the ghost.

Why would you buy solid wood?

an excellent Mf mdf core on a wrapped door is excellent.

unfortunately the taps side is a gamble . The likes of bristan only buy them in an simply repackage them. I was working there and totally shocked. 

1 hour ago, Delwint said:

I have to agree with the above. A good fitter can make a half decent kitchen look amazing. It also has a lot to do with the design though. 

This is true 90% of the time I can’t argue on that

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

look at Ikea  -  personally think quality better than "sheds" and comes with 10 year guarantee. 

Unless your planning on no make overs in the future. They use some strange sizes and have no voids down the back for services 

3 hours ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

I need a new kitchen so should i go for the likes of Homebase, B&Q etc or go for something a bit more upmarket ?

I want something decent and going to last a while.

Thanks all. 

Where abouts are you ? 

I always try to help Pw members out on a price. I think I’ve sold 4-5 on here now from our showroom in Tamworth and I hope they’re happy still .

try to miss mfc core doors as it never gives the best finish but mdf leaves a great finish.

use an independent supplier as you’ll get a service off someone that cares. Remember the staff still get paid if you complain but the likes of myself don’t get a wage if it’s wrong.

2mm abs edging and 18mm backs are the way forward.

buy junk/ cheap buy twice ;) 

Listen to teamtractor. 

Moisture resistant MDF (MRMDF) is king for doors if going to painted etc. It doesn’t move like timber and paints great as said.

If I was making my own kitchen it would be birch ply units with MRMDF doors.

The thing is, joe public without any knowledge of materials etc don’t notice what’s good or badly built. 

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

Unless your planning on no make overs in the future. They use some strange sizes and have no voids down the back for services 

Door sizes are standard for their units  400, 600, 800 - I did 2 makovers (doors and draw fronts) in the 25 years I had in the last house.

WRT the void I prefer to run services at floor level between unit legs - if you set towards the front you can service without removing units.

19 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Door sizes are standard for their units  400, 600, 800 - I did 2 makovers (doors and draw fronts) in the 25 years I had in the last house.

WRT the void I prefer to run services at floor level between unit legs - if you set towards the front you can service without removing units.

The last few I’ve done have different heights and 630 mm tops. 

The tops is easy as I used 665mm and cut them down but we had to order the doors in.

7 hours ago, jonny long shanks said:

Kitchens tend to last longer when they have been fitted correctly. Howdens aren't too bad for the price. 

i tryed howdens they made a mess of the drawings put a draw pack in front of the electric meter, forgot to put the unit in for built in fridge/freezer so got a local kitchen fitter to plan it with Howden units turned out good in the end

I got a Howdens one and couldn't fault them and also haggled on the price.

Also if you can be bothered sell the old one on gumtree. There are always landlords looking for cheap kitchen units for flats etc. I sold mine for 250 and the guy picked it up ?Extra money for some new shooting kit 

On 28/05/2018 at 14:23, winnie&bezza said:

Listen to teamtractor. 

Moisture resistant MDF (MRMDF) is king for doors if going to painted etc. It doesn’t move like timber and paints great as said.

If I was making my own kitchen it would be birch ply units with MRMDF doors.

The thing is, joe public without any knowledge of materials etc don’t notice what’s good or badly built. 

Painted doors great and birch ply units are excellent.

But have removed a few kitchens with  wrapped doors that are flapping about,which is why i have suggested solid or sprayed.

1 hour ago, vampire said:

Painted doors great and birch ply units are excellent.

But have removed a few kitchens with  wrapped doors that are flapping about,which is why i have suggested solid or sprayed.

same here wrapped doors are ****.

Been quoted £8650 + tiles. Went to the showroom today to have a look at what i'm getting for my money and the cupboard doors are chipboard. 

I'm not paying £8 grand plus for chipboard. At the moment iv;e got wrapped mdf and thats all peeling off. Will have to keep looking me thinks and pay a bit extra for something decent.

On 28/05/2018 at 14:05, team tractor said:

Where abouts are you ? 

I always try to help Pw members out on a price. I think I’ve sold 4-5 on here now from our showroom in Tamworth and I hope they’re happy still .

try to miss mfc core doors as it never gives the best finish but mdf leaves a great finish.

use an independent supplier as you’ll get a service off someone that cares. Remember the staff still get paid if you complain but the likes of myself don’t get a wage if it’s wrong.

2mm abs edging and 18mm backs are the way forward.

buy junk/ cheap buy twice ;) 

Totally agree, find a local cabinet manufacturer, not just kitchens, look at dental and medical suppliers as well. 18mm mdf is best, 18mm removable backs and a decent service void. No service void and fixed backs mean real problems when you eventually get a leak, and you will!

Some years ago I got a local firm to supply cabinets to the above spec, assembled and delivered cheaper than any flat pack stuff from B&Q, Wickes, Ikea or Howdens. You'll get quality hinges and runners, usually hafele. Add to that a local firm will bend over backwards to help you out in the event of a problem. 

2 hours ago, samboy said:

Been quoted £8650 + tiles. Went to the showroom today to have a look at what i'm getting for my money and the cupboard doors are chipboard. 

I'm not paying £8 grand plus for chipboard. At the moment iv;e got wrapped mdf and thats all peeling off. Will have to keep looking me thinks and pay a bit extra for something decent.

Why not chipboard? 

You couldn’t use solid timber and I’ve yet to see a white laminated birch ply on a standard unit.

ive made several birch ply kitchens and tulip wood doors painted but the world of chip boards is huge. So many different brands and quality’s . 

We use mfmdf if we can as it’s awesome to use and finish. 

Got to ask have you got gloss shaker currently?

Edited by team tractor