.655 & .675 chokes for steel

figgy

After looking for chokes for the coming season for my Maxus I noted the bore diameter of.742”

i know some of the boys on here advocate tight chokes and like the Terrors .655” and .675 “ also in other makes. This would be a choking of -.87” & .-67” respectively thats more than twice normal fullchoke at -.40” and over 11/2 times full choke. 

Is this not going to blow patterns and cause damage to your guns. Or have I got my imperial old money maths wrong? 

Briley Extra full extended is .40” so normal full choke this I thought was going very tight. 

My thinking is getting myself a Briley in mod, imp mod and extra full and that should cover everything.  I think I will run out of pellet energy before pattern fails. 

Whats your thoughts ? Also what’s your patterns like at range for B.B. and bbb shot 35g

Edited by figgy

I still think that generally, pattern will fail before penetration no matter what choke you use, especially when using dense shot types.

My optima plus Terror choke did not like 4.5mm steel and started to bulge, but 4mm is fine. I just stick to the extra full Briley with any size steel now, and don't worry about it.

I use to use a American  HLS undertaker  .700 choke in my Browning Gold and the results with BBB on pinks were very good and when using 3.5 inch Remmington steel  No 2 shot on high flying mallard nothing short of brilliant.  But the pattern is very tight and you have to be dead on target or you will miss the bird. In addition, you need to have good idea at what sort of ranges you are likely to be shooting at. Start trying to take geese at 30 yards and you will spoil the meat if you manage to hit the bird. But at 50 yards its a very different story with good clean kills, if you are on target. 

When I say I used to used the  Undertaker choke , the only reason I no longer do use it is because  I scrapped the Browning after major jamming problems and the thread does not fit my Ligi Franchi.

Thanks most of the ducks can be called to closer than 50 yards but the geese can be shy as they mainly fly over the power lines the ones that don't are around thirty to forty yards but that's not often. 

I will follow the advice and get the Briley's in 1/2 , 3/4 and xfull cover all my shooting and pattern them at the ranges i tend to shoot.

Thanks for the replies

I've got briley light full in 12 and 10, they've stayed in all season for everything from decoyed duck to flighting geese. I've found them to pattern well and even at close range I did not smash any birds up. The season before I tried mottys gun with extra full and had no problem with making birds inedible even at decoyed ranges with big shot, a few pellet holes maybe but definetly edible!

I'm very happy with my light full and I don't think I'll change them any time soon. I use them with 5s up to BBB and up to 4mm hevi shot and bismuth and itm

Edited by Big Mat

If you know your range with duck and geese and have a half descent cartridges in the gun and point it right then 1/4 or 1/2 choke SIMPLE Theres to much bull**** over diameters and numbers Ive seen guys i shoot duck with be obsessed with chokes and then blaming them when they miss Wonder how older fowlers coped years back with fixed choked guns??

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

If you know your range with duck and geese and have a half descent cartridges in the gun and point it right then 1/4 or 1/2 choke SIMPLE Theres to much ******** over diameters and numbers Ive seen guys i shoot duck with be obsessed with chokes and then blaming them when they miss Wonder how older fowlers coped years back with fixed choked guns??

Sometimes steel doesn't work well with 1/4 or 1/2 choke, I know my old gun didn't! 

Can't see any bull**** on this thread, just honest opinions from wildfowlers who use tight chokes, that's what the OP asked for. 

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

If you know your range with duck and geese and have a half descent cartridges in the gun and point it right then 1/4 or 1/2 choke SIMPLE Theres to much ******** over diameters and numbers Ive seen guys i shoot duck with be obsessed with chokes and then blaming them when they miss Wonder how older fowlers coped years back with fixed choked guns??

I think you missed the point. I am an older fowler and when I started shooting back in the 1960s any fowler worth his salt used a gun  with at least one barrel bored to full choke ( for lead of course ). 90% of the time we do not need a full choke for steel , but there times when it helps to get a birds or two when they are on the limits of range. I shoot on a sandy bay with dunes and a belt of high pines on the inland side. There is a very good mallard flight line over these trees , but with the dunes and trees being at least 40 yards high even in a gale the mallard are always at the very limit of range and that's the time when a full choke , the right combination of shot size\load and a quality cartridge will make a difference of putting a duck or two in the bag or having a blank flight.

Edited by anser2

On 30/05/2018 at 21:29, figgy said:

Cheers BigMat Briley are on the cards. 

I would look at the light full as it works very well in my invecta plus guns from memory it mic's at .705 iv not shot the mod choke but the light mod is a non starter totaly cr#p with any home loads I put in it

To me the point i was getting across is shooting should be simple ive no problems with anyone Using  Special   chokes. 1/4 AND 1/2 chokes i personally feel is great for steel shot The problem being is a lot of fowlers want to shoot wildfowl at great distance hence this obession with the latest and greatest chokes when if you get you're field craft right then 1/4 and 1/2 is all you need Still think the bull**** is different companies bringing out new chokes and guns every 5 minutes but thats just me Your point then big mat regards steel in half and quarter it isnt as good as lead ??

1 minute ago, Gerry78 said:

To me the point i was getting across is shooting should be simple ive no problems with anyone Using  Special   chokes. 1/4 AND 1/2 chokes i personally feel is great for steel shot The problem being is a lot of fowlers want to shoot wildfowl at great distance hence this obession with the latest and greatest chokes when if you get you're field craft right then 1/4 and 1/2 is all you need Still think the ******** is different companies bringing out new chokes and guns every 5 minutes but thats just me Your point then big mat regards steel in half and quarter it isnt as good as lead ??

No my point is it does not work with some gun/cartridge combinations, exactly the same as lead sometimes doesn't work well with certain choke/gun/cartridges combinations!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem big mat but ive tried plenty off lead/ steel cartridge brands in my old aya magnum choked 1/4 and 1/2 and my auto choked 1/2 never had any problems with the ballastics on the day its been me not shooting great not the gun cartridges or chokes !!

19 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

To me the point i was getting across is shooting should be simple ive no problems with anyone Using  Special   chokes. 1/4 AND 1/2 chokes i personally feel is great for steel shot The problem being is a lot of fowlers want to shoot wildfowl at great distance hence this obession with the latest and greatest chokes when if you get you're field craft right then 1/4 and 1/2 is all you need Still think the ******** is different companies bringing out new chokes and guns every 5 minutes but thats just me Your point then big mat regards steel in half and quarter it isnt as good as lead ??

Fieldcraft has nothing to do with it, for me. Do what you like, but the only chance you may get at a goose could be on the edge of range. If I go specifically after foreshore geese, I will not be armed with 1/4 and 1/2. For 50 yards plus I want as much choke as I can get. I want to land as many pellets on the bird as I can. Full choke and more is what I want. I will still use the same chokes for decoying ducks. Most of the wildfowlers I shoot with share the same attitude.

27 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

Field craft can get you under them, but if they get up 1/2 mile from the edge and sit up at 50 yards, no fieldcraft is going to get them to come lower! You can try asking them nicely, but believe me it doesnt work!

They certainly come low when asked by my 20ga 1/2 choke using HW13-PWS or Hevi-Shot