Scotland air rifle laws

chrisp

I live in scotland and have a SGC ,scotland now has different laws to the rest of uk regards air weapons (you need to be licenced)

So my question is am i legally aloud to possess an air weapon (sub 12ft/lb) as things stand or would i need to apply for a seperate licence ?

Thanks

If you had airguns before the legislation came in and also an SGC/FAC valid at the time then you're covered until renewal. 'Covered' in the sense that you can keep them and use them but not acquire any more (note that pellets are excluded from the new legislation). If you were granted the licence after the change in law you can't use it to possess or acquire airguns, you instead need the AWL. My own experience might be helpful: I had an existing SGC and several airguns. This would have been fine in terms of carrying on pretty much as usual but I chose to get an AWL just in case I wanted more. I'm not sure if it's still the case but when I applied I chose to have the certificates expire at the same time and it therefore only cost me £5 for the AWL. 

What if you live just South of the border but have hand that crosses the border? Do you have to apply for a licence?

what if I wanted to bring my .177 up to Scotland for a shot? Do I need a licence? 

Scotlands well on its way to being a communist state, disarming everyone and telling them how much they need the state. Land grabs and promises of prosperity for all! 

Must admit i've forgot the exact implications for u south of border.

But basically Yes u do need to apply for a licence or visitors licence, but only for ur airgun.. Can legally bring any other legally held gun up, crazy to think ur 308 or 300winmag is legal but ut airgun would not be.

Bonkers u can legally travel north with any ammount of shotguns, or rifles in ur car but put in a .177 airgun ur breaking the law

I'm sure all the right info will be on basc scotland site, it is a completl nonsense thou

Thats very helpful thanks  ,but as i let my sgc slip for a couple of years and only got it back in march 2017 (air weapon laws came in december 2016) i am still left with an air rifle sitting at my dads in northumberland which i cant use or sell in the country which i live in !!

Anyone want a cheap bsa .22 under lever that can collect from north northumberland ?

Maybe worth chatting to BASC though I think by this stage any period of grace, if there ever was one, has expired. If the coterminous option for £5 is still available then perhaps it's worth pursuing that? Costs less than a legislation-free tin of pellets :P If you have any ground to shoot over/club membership or similar then it shouldn't be too difficult to get. The idea of SGC/FAC holders having to give up airguns is something else.

Ive not realy used it much for years tbh ,thats why i took to my dads in england when they changed the law 

It realy is a joke that i can and do hold shotguns but cant hold an air rifle 

I may advertise it and let people view it from my dads 

Or just leave it there for next 4 yrs and apply for an airgun ticket then??

I doubt u'll be ble to apply for a co termins/£5 ticket now years after ur shotgun ticket, i thought it costs 50 quid??

Also another strange 1, u don't need any land to shoot over to own a shotgun, but u do to own an airgun and plinking in back yard is not enough (possibly dispatching trapped squirells crows in same garden will be)

So how does it work for me, I have a .22 bsa meteor I planned to keep for my son and nephews, I don’t actually plan to use it although you never know if I’ll shoot the off pigeon out of a barn or something random. I am keeping the gun for sentimental reasons as it’s mint and the type of gun I had when I was wee. 

I have 12 months left on my sgc and have to apply for the license, what do I apply for when applying for my countermonious license? 

1 hour ago, johnnytheboy said:

So how does it work for me, I have a .22 bsa meteor I planned to keep for my son and nephews, I don’t actually plan to use it although you never know if I’ll shoot the off pigeon out of a barn or something random. I am keeping the gun for sentimental reasons as it’s mint and the type of gun I had when I was wee. 

I have 12 months left on my sgc and have to apply for the license, what do I apply for when applying for my countermonious license? 

http://www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/finance/service-fees-and-charges/firearms/air-weapon-licensing/application-process/