Csb 5 experiments

Hi chaps, 

a while back I posted about the maxam csb5 powder as it’s a fairly economical powder at the minute. 

Anyway, a few hinted that it wouldn’t be suitable for a 24 gram load, I can testify to the contrary, a couple of loads below for you:

ched case

209 cx2000 primer 

b and p 24 gram wad (Rex/spark)

csb at 25 grains 

24 grams of lead 

or in fibre same as above but replace wad with a 3mm nitro overcard and fibre wad. 

Both loads shoot well as pinfireman can testify yesterday on the clays, I don’t bother with pattern testing anymore, I think it’s a waste of time. 

Hopefully this helps someone out, know a few lads using the 24 gram in 5 shot as well on the pigeons with great results. 

Liam 

Edited by lksopener

It can but it’s false to say it can’t shoot a good 24 gram load. 

25 grains isn’t too bad considering it can be had for £36 a kilo. That’s 560 rounds at 6.4 pence a shot. Compared to anything else I can find that’s good value? 

Liam 

3 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

Economical at 25grains? I researched this powder a lot. It can do 32g lead too. But at a lot less powder

What load do you have for 32 grams of lead? Would you share? 

Guest cookoff013

so that is true, it can be used to shoot a 24g international load. the powder manufacturers rarely want to sell actual 24g powders because they are just to economical. the 24g powders do  decent job with 28g lead loads too (nb, all in 12gauge). it would be about the same classifiction as alliant extralite. low powder charges, big or larger bushing sizes and great pressures and speeds.

lets put this into some relavence, 15grains of a different powder got me 1oz 1300fps , that is economics and performance. sad to say that powder is a tad expensive. 

if you say its 6.4 pence a shot, then the 32g versions would be a little under 4.5p a shot, that extra penny(s) and a but can go towards the cost of lead. same cost of cartridge a 1oz load. i cant see any advantage of 25grain charges.

21 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

so that is true, it can be used to shoot a 24g international load. the powder manufacturers rarely want to sell actual 24g powders because they are just to economical. the 24g powders do  decent job with 28g lead loads too (nb, all in 12gauge). it would be about the same classifiction as alliant extralite. low powder charges, big or larger bushing sizes and great pressures and speeds.

lets put this into some relavence, 15grains of a different powder got me 1oz 1300fps , that is economics and performance. sad to say that powder is a tad expensive. 

if you say its 6.4 pence a shot, then the 32g versions would be a little under 4.5p a shot, that extra penny(s) and a but can go towards the cost of lead. same cost of cartridge a 1oz load. i cant see any advantage of 25grain charges.

I agree with you completely, the object of the exercise is to put lead in the air

Guest cookoff013

there are a few loads knocking about. but they are around 20 grain / a couple are 21grain, but thats near the upper limit of 740 bar. 

yes these are 32g lead loads.
i would certainly consider 20 grain, 4mm powder card, 20mm fibre, and 32g lead shot in a 70mm. 

sorry it took so long, i`ve alot of data.

Guest cookoff013

there was a data set available from a certain cd.
also the americans are now producing alot of data. thats how i know its suitable and economical.
wink-wink

loaded  some csb5 in 12 last weekend  1.40 grms under felt wad pushing 32grm 71/2 lead,, 8point star crimp tried them at our local hunt supports club shoot ..most pleasantly surprised..

didn't get placed but I sure as hell wasn't the worst shot there,,,,surprisingly the high birds where I normaly make a tit of myself I was hitting with ease .itching to try them in hot blood come combine time

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2018 at 17:56, lksopener said:

Hi chaps, 

a while back I posted about the maxam csb5 powder as it’s a fairly economical powder at the minute. 

Anyway, a few hinted that it wouldn’t be suitable for a 24 gram load, I can testify to the contrary, a couple of loads below for you:

ched case

209 cx2000 primer 

b and p 24 gram wad (Rex/spark)

csb at 25 grains 

24 grams of lead 

or in fibre same as above but replace wad with a 3mm nitro overcard and fibre wad. 

Both loads shoot well as pinfireman can testify yesterday on the clays, I don’t bother with pattern testing anymore, I think it’s a waste of time. 

Hopefully this helps someone out, know a few lads using the 24 gram in 5 shot as well on the pigeons with great results. 

Liam 

Told ya it works it's all I used out the auto for a while on pigeons can get a bit lumpy out the game gun thou. You may have found that out on the clays thou m8.