Red kite siting.

Good shot?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of one summer evening, I was sat in a friends garden in South Derbyshire and saying I had seen some real close up views of red kites down in Northamptonshire. Oh brilliant he said and took a sip of tea and nearly spilt it as he point to the sky as three glided over well up maybe 7-800ft and on a mission and we watched as they went north towards Derby city.

Had a pair here around Four Counties, Warwicks/Leicester/Staffs/Derbyshire border for a while but they appear to have moved on.

I live 7 miles from Fridsham as the Kite flies ( Beeston direction) and have seen 4 loacally over the last few years. First was 5+ years ago.

This spring I saw a crow attacking one and a Buzzard drifted over to them to see what was going on. Good to see all three together and see the differences in size etc.

34 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

I live 7 miles from Fridsham as the Kite flies ( Beeston direction) and have seen 4 loacally over the last few years. First was 5+ years ago.

This spring I saw a crow attacking one and a Buzzard drifted over to them to see what was going on. Good to see all three together and see the differences in size etc.

I used to doa lot of tractor driving around beeston and Huxley! 

3 hours ago, Jason_ox said:

Counted 14 in a field being ploughed last year down here. Too many. 

Not really. They will have been drawn by the ploughing, probably came from quite a long way, all 14 weren't necessarily from the local area. 

What harm do you think they were doing?

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Go lampeter way, some fella feeds them in the garden and you get 30-50 in the sky at once. Should be on YouTube. Trully amazing sight. Don't see any in north Dorset tho? 

From YouTube.

8 hours ago, ClemFandango said:

Not really. They will have been drawn by the ploughing, probably came from quite a long way, all 14 weren't necessarily from the local area. 

What harm do you think they were doing?

hello, i have heard them taking partridge chicks and other ground nesting birds,  

48 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have heard them taking partridge chicks and other ground nesting birds,  

Same old-same old  -  protect and encourage a predator to high numbers and then blame everything but this for the decline in other species.

you could not make it up:/

1 hour ago, Jason_ox said:

Exactly this. Thanks OPP

hello, well on my friends farm in the vale of around 1000s acres  going back 10 years there where 20/30 coveys of partridge and quite a few ground nesting birds, now lucky to see 2 coveys, adjacent farm put down 500 partridge a few years back hoping to encourage breeding now all gone, dont get me wrong i to love to see the red kite but their success has i am sure been the detriment of other bird species

Edited by oldypigeonpopper