Nightvision for a 223??

Terry2016

Ok so I have a number of rifles and am looking for a night vision set up for a 223 I have trawled through endless review videos all complaining of battery life and clarity. 

I would like something reasonably priced I looked at the Pulsar XP50 £3500 then watched a review video and it said past 200 yards you'd need to lamp it then switch to thermal.. 

Would like to be able to see around 500 yards, not to shoot just to identify then call in to range .. 

So advice gratefully received and if you have a dedicated fox set up night vision or thermal that you are selling please let me know

Thanks 

Edited by Terry2016

41 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, 500 yards would need good infrared system, whats your budget?? 

Hi Oldypigeonpopper 

I don't have a fixed budget as suchI am flexible as this will be a dedicated Fox rifle, as i said did look at the XP50 that was £3.500 but to identify at range the guy who reviewed said use the lamp first... The idea of using thermal or night vision was to reduce the need of the lamps .. baffled me a bit.. especially at that price range

Ive seen all sorts of set ups that claim good ranges but don't know enough about them, for instance nite site do one that An eagle dark ops about £900 are they any good? with the screen lighting up your face etc? are they robust.. or as an add on is it a pain in the A*s.. 

Thanks 

Terry

43 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Hi Oldypigeonpopper 

I don't have a fixed budget as suchI am flexible as this will be a dedicated Fox rifle, as i said did look at the XP50 that was £3.500 but to identify at range the guy who reviewed said use the lamp first... The idea of using thermal or night vision was to reduce the need of the lamps .. baffled me a bit.. especially at that price range

Ive seen all sorts of set ups that claim good ranges but don't know enough about them, for instance nite site do one that An eagle dark ops about £900 are they any good? with the screen lighting up your face etc? are they robust.. or as an add on is it a pain in the A*s.. 

Thanks 

Terry

The big screen add on types are a bulky thing, with nitesites being no different and fairly expensive for what they are.
You sound like you want a drone pro or a ward D800 , with a really good IR.
Thermal is good, but you wont be ID ing at 500 yards with it, or anything like it, you stand a far better chance with the IR scopes.

40 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Hi Oldypigeonpopper 

Thanks 

Terry

hello, your going to need something pretty special in the way of night vision, i do not think the new X Ts photon can do 500 yards without a lens doubler, i think you can get something to eliminate screen shadow, i am thinking of a good side focus scope and a WG760 ad on from aliexpress but that has limitations, lets see what the more knowledgeable members say 

43 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The big screen add on types are a bulky thing, with nitesites being no different and fairly expensive for what they are.
You sound like you want a drone pro or a ward D800 , with a really good IR.
Thermal is good, but you wont be ID ing at 500 yards with it, or anything like it, you stand a far better chance with the IR scopes.

Thanks Rewulf, I expects the add ons to be a bit cumbersome, I will have a look to see if I can research the drone pro or ward D800

33 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, your going to need something pretty special in the way of night vision, i do not think the new X Ts photon can do 500 yards without a lens doubler, i think you can get something to eliminate screen shadow, i am thinking of a good side focus scope and a WG760 ad on from aliexpress but that has limitations, lets see what the more knowledgeable members say 

Thank you, I await there response telling me how many thousands i need to spend hahah , I am interested to see what people use themselves and how they cover fields ?

1 minute ago, stuartbrierley said:

Yukon  photon 6.5 x 50 with doubler you cant go wrong  cheap set up look on

Yukon Night Vision Owners club

easy shoot foxes out to 200 yards

my set up             -   external  ir   

002.jpg

Nice, external IR like a night master 800 ? whats the realistic id range on a fox

Thanks 

out to 300 yards you will see and identify your target i havent shot  them at that distance but have shot them at 200 yards  i would say most foxes are shot at 80  to 200 yards so this set up does the job well. both my ir where bought from here

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=2376960

both do the job well

003.jpg

20 minutes ago, stuartbrierley said:

Yukon  photon 6.5 x 50 with doubler you cant go wrong  cheap set up look on

Yukon Night Vision Owners club

easy shoot foxes out to 200 yards

my set up             -   external  ir   

002.jpg

Nice, external IR like a night master 800 ? whats the realistic id range on a fox

Thanks 

8 minutes ago, stuartbrierley said:

out to 300 yards you will see and identify your target i havent shot  them at that distance but have shot them at 200 yards  i would say most foxes are shot at 80  to 200 yards so this set up does the job well. both my ir where bought from here

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/PBSCCatalog.asp?CatID=2376960

both do the job well

003.jpg

I agree most foxes i shoot are around the 100yd mark i they are further out ill try to call them in a bit, i have shot further but in general about 100 yards.

My reason for seeing further is following hedge rows and so on thinking i could cover the ground quicker with a scan rather than keep moving spots , however this may be a better option and save on the pocket ..

I have a night master 800 I use and can buy the blacksun IR pill for £43 would that work ok ? do you have experience with the night master?

oh and whats a doubler lol ..

Thanks Again 

Terry

Edited by Terry2016

16 minutes ago, stuartbrierley said:

i dont know anything about swapping the pil but the doubler fits on the end of the nightvision they stoped selling them but you get a few  all ready fixed to the night vision setup look on  different forums  see plenty for sale at good prices  hope this helps

Oh ok a magnification device, thank you very much for your help 

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

Oh ok a magnification device, thank you very much for your help 

I have a Pulsar Core FXQ50 with front scope attachmenThese are a great piece of kit

You can use it as a hand held thermal then clip it onto your scope 

Thus you have your normal scope for day shooting then add on the thermal at night

I have had it out the box and tried it in pitch darkness and i can identify quarry furher than 500yards ( i did'nt know herons fed late at night in the dark )

It has not been mounted on my 223 or used passed my doorstep So am willing to sell it if your interested as my circumstances have changed

I bought it new from Scott Country some months back

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello terry, if you only want to scan the hedge rows what about a hand held night vision spotter, then something like stuarts set up for your rifle, you might be lucky to get a photon XT second hand but not sure on warranty, new yukon is 3 years, i reckon a spotter and XT plus a good I/R torch around £750, a chap on PW makes quality spotters

2 hours ago, sabel25 said:

I have a Pulsar Core FXQ50 with front scope attachmenThese are a great piece of kit

You can use it as a hand held thermal then clip it onto your scope 

Thus you have your normal scope for day shooting then add on the thermal at night

I have had it out the box and tried it in pitch darkness and i can identify quarry furher than 500yards ( i did'nt know herons fed late at night in the dark )

It has not been mounted on my 223 or used passed my doorstep So am willing to sell it if your interested as my circumstances have changed

I bought it new from Scott Country some months back

Thanks for the offer but i think i have an idea of what I am after now,

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello terry, if you only want to scan the hedge rows what about a hand held night vision spotter, then something like stuarts set up for your rifle, you might be lucky to get a photon XT second hand but not sure on warranty, new yukon is 3 years, i reckon a spotter and XT plus a good I/R torch around £750, a chap on PW makes quality spotters

I think this is the way forwards, it will also mean I can scan easier without having to point my rifle about.. 

I am thinking an Hand spotter (do you have the guys name?) and a Yukon Photon RT 6 X 50 S with a black sun pill in Nightmaster 800 IR ??

Would this work please any experienced night vision shooters? Also having trouble locating the Yukon model i am after says it was released here in Uk in 2017 august? 

Mate and i shoot with night vision every week. We have tried many different types including Photon, Trail 50, Drone, and head up systems. 

Key to our success has been thermal to spot and quality IR to identify target and shoot. Wide field of initial view for the shooter helps to identify location of the target once it's spotted with the thermal. Drone is probably the best for image quality but it can tie up a rifle. We use Ward 800.s which with a decent IR will give 400 yds. 

I have found;

The Drone 15x too narrow a field of view. The Photon's are variable in stability often with aim zero problems. The night master not as good as the Sunranger or the Blacksun. Thermal is not great for ID unless the target moves and is not legal for some quarry. Thermal will easily spot to half a mile. 

Edited by oowee

50 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Thanks for the offer but i think i have an idea of what I am after now,

I think this is the way forwards, it will also mean I can scan easier without having to point my rifle about.. 

I am thinking an Hand spotter (do you have the guys name?) and a Yukon Photon RT 6 X 50 S with a black sun pill in Nightmaster 800 IR ??

Would this work please any experienced night vision shooters? Also having trouble locating the Yukon model i am after says it was released here in Uk in 2017 august? 

hello, contact Dave-G on here for night vision spotters and day scope add ons, i can only give my opinion on the early photons not the XTs but from the many reviews are very much improved from the early ones, which they do not sell now anyway, the XT  have a very different set up and far better in distance and clarity, even better with added doubler as in stewarts set up, i would expect the nightmaser and black sun I/R pil would be an ideal combination,  note from oowee as mentioned, some early XTs had zero problems but the 2018 batches from yukon and the UK importer i think has been resolved but best make sure you can ask your RFD, or thomas jacks in stratford upon avon  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

6 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, contact Dave-G on here for night vision spotters and day scope add ons, i can only give my opinion on the early photons not the XTs but from the many reviews are very much improved from the early ones, which they do not sell now anyway, the XT  have a very different set up and far better in distance and clarity, even better with added doubler as in stewarts set up, i would expect the nightmaser and black sun I/R pil would be an ideal combination,  note from oowee as mentioned, some early XTs had zero problems but the 2018 batches from yukon and the UK importer i think has been resolved but best make sure you can ask your RFD, or thomas jacks in stratford upon avon  

super thank you OPP :good:

We use an archer add on sold by starlight. This walks all over any other night vision I've used, though I've not tried a longbow. The clarity of what you see and the distance is amazing.  Rabbits at 300yds easily identified. Couple this with a thermal and it' a deadly combo.

12 hours ago, Terry2016 said:

super thank you OPP :good:

hello, night vision has come a long way since i started many years ago, first one from usa bust on first night ATN ****, next yukon sentinal,good but very heavy and tubed eg non digital, i did try an add on but could not hassle using a screen and these came in about 15 years ago, yukon then mentioned a new digital and every one on the shooting forums were waiting like me,  the first batch of photons sold out just on back orders, i got mine on second batch september 2013, what a difference to night shooting, fast forward a few years and with the new  

XTs and high quality add ons, now the thermal for night shooting there is so much choice depending on budget  even a  DIY add on can be made about £100. yet i know some who still like lamping, let us know how you get on Terry. cheers

Both my mate that i shoot we use thermal to spot and NV to shoot i have the pulsar lite thermal you can spot heat source out to 800 yds but it has to be within 300 realistically to to identify what it is. On my Tikka lite 223 i have an envis NV with a black sun as ir shot quite a few fox's with this and also the envis is small it fit in the palm of your hand ..

John uses the next model pulsar that shows heat source out to 1800 yds ( we have never tried it that far ) its gives a better picture than mine but its twice the price i paid he then has a archer NV with black sun ir on his blaser 223...we have had a couple of fox's this week with these outfits..

Edited by hawkeye

Thank you all for the replies,

I thought id settled on what i require however I am a bit concerned with the Photon a lot of people having zero problems, requiring shims or adjustable mounts.. then there seems to be a doubler add on that can cause more of a problem .. but this is required for distance..and I'm not comfortable taking bits off and glueing new bits on.

I looked on scott country website and when searching for a yukon they come under use for a rimfire (assuming because of the range) 

This is all so confusing.so much choice.. lol what have I started now.. there was me thinking  I will go and get a night vision set up save selling the 223 and have a dedicated fox rifle lol 

Ill keep researching...

Cheers all

On 30 May 2018 at 14:39, fister said:

Do bear in mind quoted heat source detection range for these thermals in brochures is on a man sized object?

That is interesting ... and a good point.... thanks 

9 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Thank you all for the replies,

I thought id settled on what i require however I am a bit concerned with the Photon a lot of people having zero problems, requiring shims or adjustable mounts.. then there seems to be a doubler add on that can cause more of a problem .. but this is required for distance..and I'm not comfortable taking bits off and glueing new bits on.

I looked on scott country website and when searching for a yukon they come under use for a rimfire (assuming because of the range) 

This is all so confusing.so much choice.. lol what have I started now.. there was me thinking  I will go and get a night vision set up save selling the 223 and have a dedicated fox rifle lol 

Ill keep researching...

Cheers all

That is interesting ... and a good point.... thanks 

hello, why not start with a night vision spotter,