Vac Packing game as our own promotion

markm

A few months ago I put a question up here about what type of vac packer to buy. The reason being,  I wanted to start and give away oven ready game to friends, this coming season to try and promote  the sport we all love.  

I wanted to try and present the food well rather than just throwing it moist, in a small food bag. 

To cut a long story short I eventually picked up a semi pro buffalo vac packer, for a quarter of the normal price, brand new off eBay. 

Tomorrow i’m off to see some friends in North Yorkshire, with perfect timing a lad I shoot with got a nice roe on Saturday.  Below is a couple of half loins and small joints, packed which I’m taking down.

To go with this, a 200ml bottle of Sloe Gin, ironically the berries were picked in the same wood the roe was harvested.

looking forward to the game season, I already have a load of people at work interested.  I plan on printing envelope labels with names of the meat and harvest date.

C2902375-A341-4026-97C1-8E427F6D4FC5.jpeg

4B640111-BD8E-4BED-B070-03D707B73174.jpeg

Edited by markm

Vac packers are so useful and good to see your using yours to good ends.  I did some muntjac burgers on Sunday lunch for some friends and the weather was kind although that's no probs as our barbecue area is covered.  The shoulders on munties are small and difficult to know how to use them so I grind them up with a round of gammon steak(plenty of fat) and some smoked bacon and a couple of eggs to bind them together. There was none left.  It is good to share game and specially with people who would not likely come across it. 

I applaud your efforts, lucky friends.

Edited by Walker570

My packer was only £35 and I have had it six or seven years.  Never a problem.  I do buy the best bags I can find and at the moment they come from Lakeland.  Brilliant in fruit season as well as game. I buy my sausages in bulk and then split them into threes and vac pack in the freezer. Would not be without it.  I sent some woodcock wings to a fellow fly tyer through the post and vac packed them which made them thin enough to go in a normal envelope.

12 hours ago, old man said:

Brilliant thought but maybe check out the hygiene and game handling requirement?

Level 2 food hygiene cert is sufficient. You can ask for an inspection and get a hygiene rating. It's not as difficult as some may expect. Traceability is king. Labelling is a 100% must. You may also need to register as a business premises. 

Edited by Dougy

Guest topshot_2k
1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Level 2 food hygiene cert is sufficient. You can ask for an inspection and get a hygiene rating. It's not as difficult as some may expect. Traceability is king. Labelling is a 100% must. You may also need to register as a business premises. 

You don't need any certificates if you are giving the meat to friends and family. 

I think that to sell it you would need to remove all the flavour, alter it so that it no longer resembles any Animal in any shape or form, place it on a Polystyrene tray with Microwave instructions and add a meaningless slogan - try "contains up to 100% Active Plenitudes" - 98% of the 3 people we asked prefered it to riding a Bike.

Catton Estates prepared , packed and marketed a lot of their game last season and they are far enough away from your area not to be concerned about clashing so they may be able to advise on requirements if you do decide to market the game.  They basically placed the pheasant/partridge crowns in a polystyrene tray laid a nice label on top and then wrapped in cling film.

I moved a few for them and also used some myself and they were well received by all.

You could include a suggestion or two of how to prepare/cook.

Edited by Walker570

I’m giving meat away for free to friends and family.....  did many of you read my first post? 

However-

In the house, the Mrs has her advanced food hygiene cert (she used to teach intermediate FH) and I have my intermediate. She is a fully qualified food teacher and I have an HND in food and consumer studies.

I’m familiar with HACCP etc....

Can I still give game away? (Sarcasm)

Edited by markm

28 minutes ago, markm said:

I’m giving meat away for free to friends and family.....  did many of you read my first post? 

However-

In the house, the Mrs has her advanced food hygiene cert (she used to teach intermediate FH) and I have my intermediate. She is a fully qualified food teacher and I have an HND in food and consumer studies.

You can give some to me ?

:shaun:

8 hours ago, markm said:

However-

Morning Mark,

I did read your post, and if your free offering take off as mine did, you may in the future consider a little reimbursements for your pay outs. My post was meant as a suggestion if you did intend on going down that route, for a few it looks to complex and they done bother.

Your probably aware of the requirements anyway as your wife has her level 2 and you are familiar with HACCP.