Rented a motorhome where to go?

johnnythefox70

Me and mrs jtf have wanted to spend a week in devon/cornwall area for a while now and we have just booked a motorhome for the week commencing the first week in September. Now ive googled a few places to visit/stay but you cant beat peoples own personal thoughts and experiences so im looking for a few recommendations.We like  a few beers, good food, nice scenery walks (were taking the dog so a few dog friendly beaches etc) and being a true Yorkshireman must be value for money cos im a tight get and wont be ripped off!

Any thoughts?

Forget the tourist areas of Devon and Cornwall. Start your break with Somerset, Quantocks and Exmoor, explore the coast path for deserted beaches, stay away from Weston, Burnham and Minehead. For a magical little campsite on Exmoor head for Bridgetown. Adults only, dog friendly and free trout fishing in the river. Visit Dunkery Beacon for red deer. So much to see yet plenty of tranquility if that's what you want.

Devon and Cornwall in a motorhome is a nightmare, narrow streets, restricted parking, etc. Been there with a caravan, real rip off 

South Wales, Gower, Rhossili, mumbles, Brecon etc, very underestimated and much cheaper than Cornwall. 35 of the best 50 beaches in the UK are in Wales and so much cheaper to camp, eat etc

Edited by Vince Green

9 hours ago, johnnythefox70 said:

Me and mrs jtf have wanted to spend a week in devon/cornwall area for a while now and we have just booked a motorhome for the week commencing the first week in September. Now ive googled a few places to visit/stay but you cant beat peoples own personal thoughts and experiences so im looking for a few recommendations.We like  a few beers, good food, nice scenery walks (were taking the dog so a few dog friendly beaches etc) and being a true Yorkshireman must be value for money cos im a tight get and wont be ripped off!

Any thoughts?

Yes, go Northumberland and borders? 

Rip off food prices south side?

30 minutes ago, PhilT said:

Here: https://www.visitcornwall.com/beaches/lifeguards-seasonal/north-coast/newquay/crantock-beach The dog will love it! The beach is fantastic and some great coastal walks there are 2 nice pubs in the village! Check about parking with the motor home though, I think there maybe height restrictions in the main car park.

There used to be.

Wherever you go ,and depending on the size and overhang of the motor home, I would check the routes for possible problems.
As much as I would like to recommend Snowdonia and surrounding areas, its not a place I would like to tackle in a large motorhome, especially in the high season.
There are plenty of places the same in Devon and Cornwall, there must be a site that recommends routes for caravanners and motor homes ?
I would also avoid driving from too far from your home, do you really want a days driving to get there ? Not my idea of a holiday.

If it's down here (SW) that you really fancy coming, then a smart move if it's not too late or impractical is to alter that booking to the first week in October. Several reasons for this, but among them is the 30 Sept date. Dogs on beaches, parking restrictions and fees,etc,etc.

On 30/05/2018 at 07:21, PhilT said:

Here: https://www.visitcornwall.com/beaches/lifeguards-seasonal/north-coast/newquay/crantock-beach The dog will love it! The beach is fantastic and some great coastal walks there are 2 nice pubs in the village! Check about parking with the motor home though, I think there maybe height restrictions in the main car park.

If you go a bit further down the road you can get into the pay and display at the bowgie inn then walk down the cliffs onto the beach. Nice food as well and I’m sure you can stay in the car park overnight after paying the relevant parking fee