Browning x bolt quality control ?

steve 88

Hi all

Has any one had problems with new X bolts with the X locking system with barrel alignment?

Two weeks back went to my local gun shop ordered a Browning X bolt in 243, told it will take a week as none in the UK, no problem .wait a week get a call from the shop, your guns arrived , grate go to the gun shop pick up gun fill out ticket, go home send off  notification to FAO ,fit supplied bases ( Not nicely machined at all ) front howls are very shallow ,screws bottoms out be for holding base tight. rear base ok, fit rings, mount rifle place scope in rings set eye relief, fit top rings nip up all, now for boar sighting. could not get with in 2 feet at 100y  and maxed out my scopes windage  and it has massif range, tried two other scopes and two other sets of rings all off in the exact same point. took off bases an put my Vernier gage over it . **** the howls were out of true of the bore line on the receiver.

took back to shop not a happy customer, phoned browning ah another one ! what the F .As a big company such as Browning, if you find a fault would you not find out and stop sending out guns till you recalibrated / sorted out the issue .

Now need to wait another week or so for next one to arrive plus sending off licence for a one for one variation, pain in the *** ,contacted browning again to voice my concerns and ask if it they can cheek it over to be 100% before it gets sent out  ," sorry cant do that you have to cheek it when you get it home " now to me that is, could not give a **** attitude .what are your thoughts on this ? 

I had one of the very first x-bolts to come into the country. I fitted the mini picatinny bases over the standard dovetails and have never had the issue you describe. The crown however was another matter entirely, it appeared as if hewn by orcs  with a blunt hammer somewhere in middle earth.

Had it re-crowned and it's now a fantastic rifle that has beaten rifles three times the cost for accuracy.

21 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

If it were me id not be buying another browning. Id look at other similar priced rifles. howa 1500, tikka T3, Mauser M12 to name a few... Plenty of choices out there

Your right I quit liked the Tikka anyway ,I'm just disappointed with the lack of quality and lack of care from such a big player.

ive got the xbolt eclipse varmint in .223

lovely gun that has performed well so far... cant say ive had any issues with the bases but i did find that the trigger was still far too heavy for my liking (nearly 4lb!)

ive dropped a lighter spring in for the time being but will be getting a timney unit as soon as I can get one imported.

It's laughable that long standing makers turn out such rubbish and cannot get the basics right. They need a good dose of Japanese production techniques drilling into them like the car industry did (you would expect Browning being Japanese to be spot on). I recently looked at a savage in 17 wsm and it was so badly made i could not believe it was up for sale. The bolt was like something off a shed and interfered with the trigger hand. 

Just ordered a Tikka t3x just hoping it's properly made. 

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 06:41, oowee said:

It's laughable that long standing makers turn out such rubbish and cannot get the basics right. They need a good dose of Japanese production techniques drilling into them like the car industry did (you would expect Browning being Japanese to be spot on). I recently looked at a savage in 17 wsm and it was so badly made i could not believe it was up for sale. The bolt was like something off a shed and interfered with the trigger hand. 

It was the fact that it was Japanese that swayed me to get one. turned out to not be so Japanese after all. you cant beat the japs, you onley need to strip there bikes or cars to see the quality of engineering and manufacture. got what was spost to be a new one delivered to the shop turns out they just fitted the bases and returned it ,not bloody cheeked it  still the same.mounted scope in shop and showed them again still  off, they phoned browning again oh we will send you a one peace base to try. I am being very patient and giving them one last chance with other mounts. ales the other mounts compensate for the hols on the receiver being  **** /out of true I shall be getting my money back and looking for something else  tikka or a Sako  very disappointed Browning poor serves and quality. 

On 31/05/2018 at 06:41, oowee said:

Why calibre T3 you going for? 

• 1 month later...

I’ve just bought a brand new x bolt, I’m having trouble with the mount bases, it’s as if the screws won’t line up. I had the gun shop fit them and I can see day light through them sideways as if they’re fouling on the screws, really not impressed, also seems as if the back mounts are too low, where did you find the contact details for browning Uk?

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:24, Will Smith said:

I’ve just bought a brand new x bolt, I’m having trouble with the mount bases, it’s as if the screws won’t line up. I had the gun shop fit them and I can see day light through them sideways as if they’re fouling on the screws, really not impressed, also seems as if the back mounts are too low, where did you find the contact details for browning Uk?

Hi will , The mounts are very poor quality to say the least, take it back to were you bought it m8 and demand your money back and get a gun that is made properly . I gave mine back and got a Tikka T3X very happy with it to. if you want to contact browning you will need to speak to BWM on 01235 514 550 not very helpful and very dismissive they were more concerned as to how I got there number , they will just tell you. you need to go back to the place you bought it. hope this helps m8.