First Bike

Lloyd90

Picked up my first motorbike tonight :) 

been a few months since I did my CBT, was waiting for the weather to turn and told there would be more around in the summer. 

Picked up an older Suzuki VanVan 125, took my mate along who had a 200 and knows a fair bit about them, said it’s a good bike and should be good to learn on! 

Just need to sort out the tax and insurance etc tomorrow :) and PIckup a bit of safety gear!  

Congrats. I've always liked the look of the Van van with the chunky back tyre.

Don't scrimp on the safety gear. And as always with bikes, training, training, training. It's your job to ensure your safety on a bike. Don't rely on anyone else.

Most of all, enjoy!

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Picked up my first motorbike tonight  

been a few months since I did my CBT, was waiting for the weather to turn and told there would be more around in the summer. 

Picked up an older Suzuki VanVan 125, took my mate along who had a 200 and knows a fair bit about them, said it’s a good bike and should be good to learn on! 

Just need to sort out the tax and insurance etc tomorrow  and PIckup a bit of safety gear!  

Don't forget the kevlar jeans worth every penny at 30 quid.

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Look on the ebay site easy to find and good quality too.

Thanks Alan, I’ll have a look! 

Many rough ideas of sizing, some jeans I can wear a 36” waist and other I have to get a 40” as I have big legs and butt (used to play prop) lol 

1 hour ago, scouser said:

When I was learning (long time ago) the instructors last words to me after I passed my test was” treat every car driver (especially volvos) as if their trying to kill you and you’ll be ok” 

How very true.

..... and don't forget the "life saver" (Roadcraft HMSO)

More sensible than me,did the cbt and the full bike test, then went straight out and bought a yamaha thundercat 600 yzf,sold it within a year as way to fast for me as i like it flat out to the max and after scaring myself whilst racing a honda, how we both lived i dont know,went straight home and rang the bike shop,sold.

On 30/05/2018 at 09:53, Lloyd90 said:

Thanks Alan, I’ll have a look! 

Many rough ideas of sizing, some jeans I can wear a 36” waist and other I have to get a 40” as I have big legs and butt (used to play prop) lol 

Get the 40" and a belt jobs a good un.

Edited by dead eye alan

14 hours ago, blackbird said:

I bet you will be bored of it within a week, you should have gone & bought a 600 something like a Honda CBR600

I’ve only got a CBT not a full licence, never had much experience on a bike so want to get a good year on a 125 before looking to change. 

Also it’s only for plodding around the city and to work, which is about 5 minutes away on the bike. The speed limit in most areas of the city is 20/30 mph. 

Should be alright as something to get used to. 

Oooops sorry I did not realise you only have a CBT, yes if it’s only for around the city perfect bike. Best bit of advice I can give you is get a good quality chain or it will get stolen, Fowler’s of Bristol got some really good deals on biking stuff. 

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Oooops sorry I did not realise you only have a CBT, yes if it’s only for around the city perfect bike. Best bit of advice I can give you is get a good quality chain or it will get stolen, Fowler’s of Bristol got some really good deals on biking stuff. 

Thanks mate, need to get some gear so will get down there :)