First Bike

Lloyd90

Lloydy, be safe.  I did my advanced course at Stafford Police HQ back in 1964. Our instructor had us alongside him at the exit on the first day and after watching traffic go by, he turned and said, " If you forget everyhting I'm going to teach you in the next couple of weeks, remember this. ALL them b..tards are out there to kill you."  Keep that in mind.  

As well as everyone else on the road, BEWARE OF THE TEXTER. ?

Through injury I had to pack in my beloved bikes just before smart phones kicked in.

Since, whilst driving the car have been rammed twice by drivers texting.

3 years on I still have a lower back injury.

A friend of mine was rammed by a texter and will always be in constant pain.

If I'd been hit on a bike I may now be pushing up the daisies! 

Edited by Robertt

On 30/05/2018 at 13:23, amateur said:

How very true.

..... and don't forget the "life saver" (Roadcraft HMSO)

+1 for the 'Roadcraft'  !  A pity a lot more car drivers do not read it too.

As for ANY use of the mobile whilst driving, should be an instant ban !

Edited by Westley

12 hours ago, Dunkield said:

Did you actually ride LeJog on that C90 TT?

Cubs have become the bike of the moment, so even those are rocketing up in value. Is nothing sacred?

15 days following the coast and back home to the midlands. We had a lift up there tho.

3 bikes for total of £700 ;) and I loved it. 

Ive loads of pics

oooo you,ll get the bug mind

I,m seriously contemplating another

to date I,ve had

1st one way way back was a Honda ss50 Honda cg125

followed by 3 fsie a cub90 then a few 125s a rd250 rd400 lc350ypvs superdream 400  Honda cx500 kawaski kh250 triple  kawasaki scorpion z250 Suzuki 250 x7  2 Yamaha xj600 diversions Suzuki 600 bandit last one was a Yamaha yzf600r thundercat

and probs another couple I,ve missed

I fancy a Yamaha xj1200 next   but I,ll have to wait and see if I can manage one after their finished messing with my spine

so my advice to you is enjoy ............. but above all be safe and watch out for all the idiots out there ...............

one last bit of advice NEVER NEVER RIDE WITHOUT GLOVES OR BOOTS even on the shortest of trips (I know I never said helmet but they are compulsory)

Edited by hodge911

12 hours ago, hodge911 said:

oooo you,ll get the bug mind

I,m seriously contemplating another

to date I,ve had

1st one way way back was a Honda ss50 Honda cg125

followed by 3 fsie a cub90 then a few 125s a rd250 rd400 lc350ypvs superdream 400  Honda cx500 kawaski kh250 triple  kawasaki scorpion z250 Suzuki 250 x7  2 Yamaha xj600 diversions Suzuki 600 bandit last one was a Yamaha yzf600r thundercat

and probs another couple I,ve missed

I fancy a Yamaha xj1200 next   but I,ll have to wait and see if I can manage one after their finished messing with my spine

so my advice to you is enjoy ............. but above all be safe and watch out for all the idiots out there ...............

one last bit of advice NEVER NEVER RIDE WITHOUT GLOVES OR BOOTS even on the shortest of trips (I know I never said helmet but they are compulsory)

I second the last bit, guy I know came off on the day he didn't have boots on, shattered his leg and he' not been right since. His legs effectively jelly so he tried cutting it off so they would amputate... all to save 5 minutes not putting his boots on

I've been tinkering with a CG125, turning it into a street scrambler, for my son and I to do our CBT and ride (despite having ridden bikes off road for years I never did my bike test). I must admit although he only wants to ride it to sixth form it does worry me with the number of cars on the road these days.

BTW OP I also like the look of the VanVan

Edited by Ricko

did my cbt on a van van in haverfordwest. Slow and sure bike but handled well. I did look a burk tho as I'm 6'6" and they are small. 

My advice - 

1 - as stated watch for cars, but more importantly other bikers overtaking you (mainly in traffic). So many ***** out there that think it's a slamom road race, check over your shoulder every time you move. Hammer it into yourself as that's a big one for your test when you do it. 

2 - buy boots from a shop as if you have big/fat feet, they will kill after walking just for a few minutes. I got mine on ebay and they hurt after 20 mins walking. Lesson learnt. 

3 - Buy a lid that's got the gold star on the back and don't trust secondhand. Mine was £80 new. I bought a cheap lift up lid for £60 and am glad I never came off wearing it. Go on sharp.gov or Google sharp helmet testing. Nearly all lids are on there. Don't need to spend £400 on a shoei if you ain't on a race track. 

4 - Get saving! Nothing feels like the freedom you get from a bike and youll soon want something a little bigger. 

Stay safe