Gun cabinet organiser

spandit

Following a discussion with 1066, inspired by me seeing this: https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-safe/technology/ I have finally got round to my much cheaper DIY solution:

1339177865_cabinetrack.jpg.a6cac70277d48e51079cd17fdb4a6f34.jpg

Bought a cheap set of storage bins off eBay (VonHaus - £22) that came with the plastic racking panels. You can't see it in that photo but there is a second panel at the bottom. The top one needed some modifying to fit around the welded metal pieces in the cabinet (Sealey SEGS8) that hold the foam barrel supports in place but it is such a tight fit (had to be thumped in with a rubber mallet) that there aren't any screws/bolts actually stopping it from moving. The aforementioned supports have never been particularly good - for the barrel to actually fit in them means the rifle must be tilted back to clear the scope, which tends to make closing the door difficult. I'm going to design and 3D print my own clip in brackets.

The white unit at the top is a caravan dehumidifier - Aldi special buy a couple of weeks ago. It's supposed to be rechargeable but it hasn't been in long. Next to it is a disposable dehumidifer (nearly full of water) and at the bottom is another rechargeable beanbag style dehum (which will need drying in the oven, I think). Stuck to the back of the door is a Napier vapour sachet thing.

Moving my mods out of the ammo cabinet gives me more space in there so I've put some of the spare bins in to hold magazines, bolts, loose ammo etc. I also have space for my bipod and torches plus other bits and bobs that I might use - knives for example. Got plenty of little bins left for organising screws and stuff in the workshop too.

8 minutes ago, 1066 said:

:) Room for at least four more in the cabinet Spandit.

There really isn't. With 5 rifles and an air rifle it's pretty jammed. Hopefully my new supports will fit although it's going to take over 4 hours to print. The fixing pegs are going to be the weak point but with a carpet lined cabinet, I don't think magnets are the answer

Designed and printed a bracket to stand the gun more vertically to give better clearance for the scope (especially the rifle with the Yukon Photon which is quite tall):

bracket.jpg.c75387290af9a6a787aba7ff4c455408.jpg

Took quite a few hours to print but seems really solid and installed without breaking, which is always a bonus:

installed.jpg.a277898e5f0db8942443387f82dd6e3e.jpg

Might design one that can take an O-ring or bungee to stop the rifle falling forward - the beauty of a 3D printer! :D