And now Kent have jumped on the band wagon.

fse10

So it would seem that from October 2018 Kent police will now also req medical info verified by their GP with applications & renewals. Seems good old BASC political route is working NOT. Won't be long before Essex jump on along with every other force.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent told me yesterday that it was now up to government to provide clarity about what it wants police authorities to do. He said Kent would still issue certificates within 40 days.

Now up to national representative bodies to carry out that fight.

1 hour ago, Ajarrett said:

The Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent told me yesterday that it was now up to government to provide clarity about what it wants police authorities to do. He said Kent would still issue certificates within 40 days.

I don't hold out much hope!

48 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

listen for the sound of grinding axes then you will know, but at least they are doing more than the others, little as it is.

As I said, they have no real power, all they can do is lobby against it. They have sought advice abd have stood firm in saying we should not have to pay. If the rules come in and make us im unsure how it is BASC we blame. 

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:22, Ajarrett said:

I thought the government had already clarified what the police should be doing, but some forces seam to ignore it 

If the police are making people pay illegally then BASC should help a member who has been affected sue the police

through the small claims court for their money back.

If the claim is successful then it should be made public.

This would cost BASC next to nothing.

On 31 May 2018 at 16:22, Ajarrett said:

This would appear not to be the case, as a bit on local TV yesterday cited Kent Police as requiring a medical certificate from doctors before issuing new or renewed shotgun and  firearm certificates. Unless of course this was 'fake' news.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

49 minutes ago, spot on said:

devon and cornwall police have a form printed out for doctors ..had my medical last year ..and they do look back into your past history medical reports..

It’s worth pointing out.....again, that the police are only privy to a GP’s report as supplied by your GP, regarding matters which may be pertinent to the grant of a ticket.

There is no rozzer sat at a desk sifting through anyone’s personal medical history, as is the impression often given.

15 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

This would appear not to be the case, as a bit on local TV yesterday cited Kent Police as requiring a medical certificate from doctors before issuing new or renewed shotgun and  firearm certificates. Unless of course this was 'fake' news.

OB

41 minutes ago, Ajarrett said:

He said Kent would still issue certificates within 40 days.

Simply out of interest because I'm confused but would just like to know who is telling it as it is. Should it transpire that there is nothing to report in an applicant's medical records and he/she has followed BASC's advice and refused to pay the medic, then on one hand we're told that he/she would get his/her certificate regardless within 40 days, but on the other because he/she refused to pay and therefore the medic wouldn't play ball and consequently without the medical certificate which the Kent Police require as a prerequisite for the issue thereof, then he/she won't.

Whatever..... it is still contrary to agreed home office guidance! If the police do not get a response from an applicants GP within 21 days then the certificate is granted in default! That's my understanding anyway!

I suspect the whole issue regarding GP's reports has been seized upon by the police to deliberately, amongst other things, further slow the whole process down! The much reported delay to renew a certificate is absolutely ridiculous!.......More than three months on many occasions....It seems reasonable to conclude the police do not want private ownership of guns, so they are quietly doing everything they can to delay the process in the hope that many gun owners/shooters will just give up!

Edited by panoma1

11 hours ago, Ajarrett said:

He said Kent would still issue certificates within 40 days.

Is this regardless of whether the applicants medical records have been obtained by Kent or not ? As stated above, the home office guidelines currently state that if not received from a GP in 21 days, then the certificate will be issued. Presumably then, the 40 days as quoted, is Kent's committment to the time period from receipt of application to issue of certificate. Since the appointment of Matthew Scott as PCC from the previous 'anti gun' encumbent AB, things have improved dramatically, so at least we should be grateful for that. Renewal times down to 40 days from 6-12 months with the added administration of issuing Section 7 temporary permits has got to be a vast improvement.

It will therefore be interesting to see what happens after the 'reported' date of October, when Kent are 'reported' to be introducing their own interpretation of current guidelines.

OB