Farmers to be paid for shooting badgers

What was not reported by most of the press was that they will have to jump through hoops to be able to do it.  It is basically a money saving scheme, get farmers who have a TB problem with badgers to do the culling, not professionals.  It most certainly does not mean any farmer can go out a shoot a badger and hand it in for his £50.

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:37, Walker570 said:

What was not reported by most of the press was that they will have to jump through hoops to be able to do it.  It is basically a money saving scheme, get farmers who have a TB problem with badgers to do the culling, not professionals.  It most certainly does not mean any farmer can go out a shoot a badger and hand it in for his £50.

Pretty sure that farmers pay for the cull anyway! 

22 hours ago, norfolk dumpling said:

Better than just leaving them on the side of the road.............

I think it’s a bit of an urban myth that most of the badgers laying in the side of the road have been shot; I mean why shoot something illegally and then leave its carcass in plain sight for all to see and anyone to find?

I see a lot of roadkill badgers around where I live; I doubt any have been shot. 

Me too.. and I'm beginning to see a few otter road kills as well.. Was pondering about the fact that for every badger or even otter that we see dead on the roadside there must be another that's crawled away to die a horribly slow and painful death somewhere in the vegetation or adjacent ditch. Perhaps we need some 'accredited association' to articulate these matters to the public.. 

If there going to start paying for them I’m going to start collecting all the ones from the side of the road I see and start freezing them. Then as soon as put them on the floor a quick hole in the back of the head job done. 

You think I will get away with it ?

On 05/06/2018 at 19:28, Scully said:

I think it’s a bit of an urban myth that most of the badgers laying in the side of the road have been shot; I mean why shoot something illegally and then leave its carcass in plain sight for all to see and anyone to find?

I see a lot of roadkill badgers around where I live; I doubt any have been shot. 

Sort of +1. I'm not saying for one minute that it doesn't happen, but I ran the badger carcass survey in Cornwall, Devon and Dorset back along and from all the ones I bagged and tagged only one was suspect. Problem was by the time it had been reported and I got there it was in a bit of a state and not fit for research autopsy so it was binned.

13 hours ago, crossy 666 said:

If there going to start paying for them I’m going to start collecting all the ones from the side of the road I see and start freezing them. Then as soon as put them on the floor a quick hole in the back of the head job done. 

You think I will get away with it ?

Yep no problem as long as you have a big freezer.