Chokes

eastlincs

Hi guys,

Got my first gun at the weekend, beretta 686 and it came with 5 chokes. The guy in the shop told me  which two to use while I’m learning but I’ve completely forgot what he said. I’m sure he said skeet and something?

any ideas what to start out with?

cheers

Edited by eastlincs

Guest stevo
32 minutes ago, eastlincs said:

Thanks for that, cheers for saying how many grooves as I’ve no idea which is which 

What did you use in your silver pigeon or your franchi raptor 712  for shooting clays ? 

I’m sure they will be fine 

Edited by stevo

Guest cookoff013

what shells are you using? 

if you are using 21g shells then certainly tightening chokes can be beneficial. skeet / cylinder / 1/4 are brilliant with older style cartridges such as 1,1/8oz thats 32g loads, thats relatively alot of shot. its the standard weight many many years ago.

as for shotsize and clays, 7.5 would be the cheapest, just because its way more mass produced (lead shotsize). 8s being smaller and 9s being alot smaller, but way more pieces of shot per ounce.

i would certainly advise you (if you want) 24g #8 is a fantastic load.

i personally went 24g -28g #9 for most clay shooting and i seek out these loads. i use mainly full / full or full in the semi auto.

On 01/06/2018 at 09:11, cookoff013 said:

as for shotsize and clays, 7.5 would be the cheapest, just because its way more mass produced 

Not sure I agree with that as manufactures and importers charge us the same per cartridges like for like in any standard shot size.   7.5 white gold costs same a 8 white gold etc. 

On 31/05/2018 at 21:32, TIGHTCHOKE said:

1/4 and 1/2 would be a good starting point.

4 grooves in the bottom barrel and 3 in the top.

Off to a good start. You may decide as you go along to modify (no pun intended) that -  several times possibly - until you're happy. The only problem is is that you still have no idea of precisely what choke you're actually using. Doesn't matter a jot, it's working for you. Until, of course, you decide to change your cartridges, your gun or even your make of choke. It's been said countless times that choke is a performance and NOT a measurement. Consequently, once you're happy, a smart move is to go to the pattern plate and find out what your chokes actually are. Then, if it ever becomes necessary, you can replicate this if you change any of the applicable factors.

Guest cookoff013

Was more thinking about the cheaper clay shells that only available in 7.5s and usually fibre too.

It's not a coincidence that some shells are only 7.5s

Danarms, super fast, velocity+  etc. They are cheaper mass produced products because they only make one shot size, it's reduced product range for full output on a industrial loader, no changeover time. 

All manufacturers do it. 

Shells like sovereign are expensive, and offer full range of shot sizes, that's why they are expensive. They change shot size, colour of hulls and loading  allsorts 

The op should get what is available first, than ask for cartridges where they are at a serious premium.

I bet there are more 7.5 shells made than 8s and 9s combind

On 03/06/2018 at 15:34, bornfree said:

Go for cylinder and skeet. 1/2 is far to tight for someone just starting

I tend to agree that 1/2 is too tight. I'd go cylinder/skeet and 1/4, it's what I always shoot in an O&U. The 1/4 gives you the slightly tighter pattern for longer range stuff but is still ok for close range targets. That's what I use in my semi-auto.

44 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

I tend to agree that 1/2 is too tight. I'd go cylinder/skeet and 1/4, it's what I always shoot in an O&U. The 1/4 gives you the slightly tighter pattern for longer range stuff but is still ok for close range targets. That's what I use in my semi-auto.

+1  for that  !  Regardless of cartridge load or shot size. Search out the cheapest cartridges that you can find and just practice. It may pay dividends to have a lesson too. Oh and the 'notches equate to :-

*            = FULL

**          =  3/4

***        =  1/2  (mod)

****      =  1/4   ( I/C)

*****    =  Skeet or Cylinder.

Hope that helps. 

Notice that you had a lesson at the weekend and got to use the new gun. What chokes did your instructor suggest using? Yep, it's no good using 3/4 by Full on a skeet range. On the other hand, similarly it's no good using TC by 1/4 when the clays are being engaged at 40 to 50 yards. After all, it is the target distance/cartridge that defines the choke choice and not the skill of the shooter.

Thanks for all the replies, had a lesson Saturday he said to start off with cylinder and skeet also so that’s what I used. Seemed to get on ok with it. Booked another 3 double lessons for the next every other week so see how we go.

Edited by eastlincs

On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 15:34, bornfree said:

Go for cylinder and skeet. 1/2 is far to tight for someone just starting

Really? I started choked 1/2 and 1/2 and still am. Have 1/2 in my pump action as well. Other than using skeet for skeet I never swap out.

I'm not the greatest shot, but I do ok. 

Never heard that advice when starting.  

I started out with skeet and 1/4 choke then 1/4 & 1/2 now i usually have half and the other choke is just less than half or bit more depending what i stuck in after cleaning. Use Half in the semi auto, best all round size for me. Until i try the briley xfull :crazy: i have ordered.

Go with what your instructor says until you gain confidence and experience.

1 hour ago, figgy said:

I started out with skeet and 1/4 choke then 1/4 & 1/2 now i usually have half and the other choke is just less than half or bit more depending what i stuck in after cleaning. Use Half in the semi auto, best all round size for me. Until i try the briley xfull  i have ordered.

Go with what your instructor says until you gain confidence and experience.

Proper choke!:good:

4 hours ago, Lord v said:

Really? I started choked 1/2 and 1/2 and still am. Have 1/2 in my pump action as well. Other than using skeet for skeet I never swap out.

I'm not the greatest shot, but I do ok. 

Never heard that advice when starting.  

The OPs instructor told him exactly the same cylinder and skeet.