Chokes

eastlincs

20 hours ago, Lord v said:

Yup. 

Just never heard of 1/2 choke being described as "too tight" for a beginner before. 

It depends on which discipline they are shooting, but if it is a simple sporting type target,  then 1/2 choke probably is too tight. The club gun at the shooting ground that I was associated with was 'True Cylinder', due to someone losing the chokes,  and with 28 gram 8's or even down to 21 gram cartridges,  it broke clays out to some remarkable distances.

On 31/05/2018 at 21:30, eastlincs said:

Clay shooting, don’t ask me what I haven’t got that far in the plan. Just of to a local club this weekend hopefully 

hello, trying out my new old franchi last saturday at clays after many years since i have been, i tried 25 DTL and chokes of 1/4 1/2

Pattern plate & cartridge choice. 

Shot browning factory invector + 1/4 & 1/2 for long enough, in terms of restriction thats really skeet & 1/4. Using 28g FBlus' I noticed a marked improvement over simply using the cheapest available. And not for much extra, if buying 4 slabs at a time. Still sub £200, just. 

Bought a 2nd hand set of 4 Teague chokes off another site, 2 x 3/8, 1 x 5/8 and 1 x 7/8. The FBlus pattern really well out of all but the 5/8. The 3/8 at 30y is throwing all but a dozen or so pellets into a uniform 30" circle, 50/50 comb down.

So for sporting I'm comb down 3/8 & 3/8, DTL comb up (1/8")  3/8 & 7/8. My misses are all mine, not the gun or ammo. With the FBlu & 3/8 I'm getting good breaks at surprising ranges. Great for the confidence. 

I was toying with buying a new gun, but now I more than happy with the set up I have I plan on sticking with my humble 525 for the foreseeable.  

I'm not qualified to offer advice, but I'd say, pattern a few cartridges through your chokes, select the best patterning cart/choke combo, stick with it and focus on shooting. 

13 minutes ago, Uilleachan said:

Pattern plate & cartridge choice. 

Shot browning factory invector + 1/4 & 1/2 for long enough, in terms of restriction thats really skeet & 1/4. Using 28g FBlus' I noticed a marked improvement over simply using the cheapest available. And not for much extra, if buying 4 slabs at a time. Still sub £200, just. 

Bought a 2nd hand set of 4 Teague chokes off another site, 2 x 3/8, 1 x 5/8 and 1 x 7/8. The FBlus pattern really well out of all but the 5/8. The 3/8 at 30y is throwing all but a dozen or so pellets into a uniform 30" circle, 50/50 comb down.

So for sporting I'm comb down 3/8 & 3/8, DTL comb up (1/8")  3/8 & 7/8. My misses are all mine, not the gun or ammo. With the FBlu & 3/8 I'm getting good breaks at surprising ranges. Great for the confidence. 

I was toying with buying a new gun, but now I more than happy with the set up I have I plan on sticking with my humble 525 for the foreseeable.  

I'm not qualified to offer advice, but I'd say, pattern a few cartridges through your chokes, select the best patterning cart/choke combo, stick with it and focus on shooting. 

Well, if that's the best advice you have to offer, for my money you have all of the qualifications one needs. It matters not a jot who is shooting what and where as that advice will cover it. Well posted.

I much prefer fixed choke and bought a new gun 1/4 by 3/4. Not happy so had Teague 3/8 by 7/8 fitted. I like to take full advantage of the energy No 7s offer provided the pattern is up to it as well. So I agree again albeit I'm talking proper pigeon using either Super Game High Bird or Blue Diamond.

42 minutes ago, eastlincs said:

Lol got double lesson booked for next weekend he said we will get more detailed each time i go so sure il learn what your all on about eventually 

Best not to pay too much attention to precisely what Uilleachan and I have said although it is perfectly correct. This is because choke is a performance and not a measurement (gets repetitive, don't it!) and so far we've only given measurements - ie nominal choke sizes. My nominal Teague 3/8 by 7/8 with my chosen cartridges shoot 1/4 by 3/4 which is what I was after.

26 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Have to agree with that….

Eastlincs; heres some good advice from Bruce Bucks.  https://shotgunreport.com/2016/10/21/choke-advice-to-the-new-sporting-clays-shooter/

It would be a whole lot better advice had he mentioned the tinsey wincey little detail that in order to be of any use whatsoever, it is essential to pay a visit to the pattern plate to find out how the nominally marked chokes are actually performing. Obviously, one doesn't HAVE to do this; you can still shoot not having done so just as you can fish without baiting the hook - it all depends on the level of success that one wishes to achieve.

19 minutes ago, wymberley said:

It would be a whole lot better advice had he mentioned the tinsey wincey little detail that in order to be of any use whatsoever, it is essential to pay a visit to the pattern plate to find out how the nominally marked chokes are actually performing. Obviously, one doesn't HAVE to do this; you can still shoot not having done so just as you can fish without baiting the hook - it all depends on the level of success that one wishes to achieve.

I personally have had a reasonable amount of successful shooting over the past 30 years without ever going near a pattern plate, but I struggle to picture a Fisherman having a similar success rate without baiting the hook??.

I suppose that, as long as I'm hitting stuff with reasonable consistency I've no need to set up a pattern plate.  Having said that; watching numerous videos on you tube demonstrating patterning has certainly helped in contributing to my understanding of such.

Much Love❤️

5 minutes ago, KB1 said:

I personally have had a reasonable amount of successful shooting over the past 30 years without ever going near a pattern plate, but I struggle to picture a Fisherman having a similar success rate without baiting the hook??.

I suppose that, as long as I'm hitting stuff with reasonable consistency I've no need to set up a pattern plate.  Having said that; watching numerous videos on you tube demonstrating patterning has certainly helped in contributing to my understanding of such.

Much Love❤️

Yep, I have to concede that you're probably going to be limited to mackerel, but I believe I made and you grasped, my point.

Slainte

JOHN BIDWELL says:

This depends on who’s holding the gun of course!

And there’s more – while it’s true that there’s no such thing as a bad shell it also needs to be remembered that some are a lot better than others in terms of pellet quality and hardness, patterning capabilities and velocity.

And what about the target being fired at – has it got a harder consistency than some others on the market, and it is being presented edge-on or showing its more vulnerable belly?

Personally speaking (and assuming the bird wasn’t edge-on) I wouldn’t feel entirely comfortable with 7s and ¼ choke to make consistent breaks at 50 yards because of gaps in the pattern.

However I would be a sight happier at the chances of a ½ choke doing the job properly – as long as the man behind the gun could hold it straight shot after shot after shot.

Think I must have got it all wrong. True Cylinder out to 40 yards it is then as this equates to 50 yards with 1/2 while using 7 shot.

Apologies to all.

12 hours ago, wymberley said:

JOHN BIDWELL says:

This depends on who’s holding the gun of course!

And there’s more – while it’s true that there’s no such thing as a bad shell it also needs to be remembered that some are a lot better than others in terms of pellet quality and hardness, patterning capabilities and velocity.

And what about the target being fired at – has it got a harder consistency than some others on the market, and it is being presented edge-on or showing its more vulnerable belly?

Personally speaking (and assuming the bird wasn’t edge-on) I wouldn’t feel entirely comfortable with 7s and ¼ choke to make consistent breaks at 50 yards because of gaps in the pattern.

However I would be a sight happier at the chances of a ½ choke doing the job properly – as long as the man behind the gun could hold it straight shot after shot after shot.

Think I must have got it all wrong. True Cylinder out to 40 yards it is then as this equates to 50 yards with 1/2 while using 7 shot.

Apologies to all.

And if you believe that, you'll.....................