Worth the money - Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Powder Charge Dispenser

As above, is the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser worth the money?

I'm after some construction opinions on the above. If possible from people who have used them?

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

I've used one, but don't have one. They are very good, consistent and accurate. 

But I don't personally think they're any more accurate than a 'basic' Lee Perfect powder measure - which I find is accurate to +/-0.1gr.

For me, any perceived benefit was not worth the additional cost.

Had one for about a year, excellent bit of kit, really speeds up the process, the addition of the tube 'thingy' (Google it), cut the over charges to nil.

Very accurate and consistent, I bought one for reloading large quantities of. 17 hornet 200 Ish at a time, now use it for all calibres, used to check them on my rcbs 505 scales, no need! 

I've replied to your thread on UKV.

However, I'd have to say that speed is the last thing that you should be trying to achieve in reloading!.

The main points/benefits of the Hornady (or RCBS etc.) is accuracy and consistency of weighed charges, not speed.

If you have a decent set of RCBS scales a TargetMaster Trickler from 1066 (he's also on UKV) would do an excellent job for around £80 used.

Edited by phaedra1106

I have the Lyman Gen 6

Been brilliant ( ok, so it did develop a fault but a new replacement was provided and this was beyond the the years warranty)

Set to auto dispense and whilst seating one the pan is filling up- if it over charges the thing beeps to let you know of the error.

Wouldnt be without it now. Just one observation is they are sensitive so set it up on a separate bench to your press or don’t use the press as it’s dispensing the last trickle 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was on the clearance sale price. Otherwise i wouldn't have bothered. They were reduced  from £380 to £199. Opitics Warehouse UK states on its site that they still have more stock of these. 

Cheers.

I love the new Hornady powder thrower.

However, it's not perfect. imo. Its always turned on and left for at least 20 minutes before use. And i do a calibration with the weights each time i use it.  seems to throw just a grain or 2 under charge, (according to my tuned beam scales). I appreciate it's set up to be +/-  .1

It's just a little frustrating. But i'd still have it as it's a bit quicker than the thrower. Albeit not by much...

And even with the straw adapter, it's very slow to finish. Yes i know under is better than way over... I know i could speed the finish up, but it states i'm likely to get just over weights, which i obviously don't  want.

I'll need to sell my RCBS powder thrower and stand now. Women.... However, I love my tuned RCBS 505 beam scales. They have a nice camera and mount. The camera is then plugged into my laptop. So nice and big to see! I'm loathed to get rid of them as so accurate????....?

J.

9 hours ago, phaedra1106 said:

My Hornady throws the odd one +0.1gr which for me is perfectly acceptable using extruded stick powders.  I don't ever get under throws.

I've got a spare one to pick up next week in Florida, couldn't say no at £120

Room for one more ?