Spring stick modification

Just a simple spring replacement if you use standard plastic or wood dowel decoy pegs with bent springs or if you find standard bought ones a bit too loose for your decoys or dippa fitted coy pegs. 

Remove the old spring or cut the standard peg in two and refit a short length of silicone tubing about 50mm long for dippa pegs and a little longer maybe 60mm for standard wind rocker plastic pegs , with an 8 mm internal diameter, or size that snugs tight to whatever peg you use plastic or wood.

No rusty spring snaps or bent springs at right angle's in the kit bag to trash decoys movement, tension is easily adjusted for wind conditions by pushing the 2 parts of the peg a little closer together  for a tighter action or pulling them a little apart for slacker action , also acts as a good  spring replacement for overly active pegs in conjunction with dippas. Tube is Ebygum available.

I hope this maybe be useful to some , good shooting.

Modified peg.jpg

Edited by deny essex
title mistake

• 2 weeks later...

Ok , so got the tubing and cut and pushed it on the two ends  , but found the 2mm thick tubing a bit to thick unless there is a fairly brisk wind , solved the problem with a sharp scalpel and pared the centre down to about 1 mil ..seemed to work better in very light wind ..

24 minutes ago, moose man said:

Ok , so got the tubing and cut and pushed it on the two ends  , but found the 2mm thick tubing a bit to thick unless there is a fairly brisk wind , solved the problem with a sharp scalpel and pared the centre down to about 1 mil ..seemed to work better in very light wind ..

What length did you use ?

Left about an inch and a half gap , the pegs are 12mm inside bore so the tube came at 16 mm outside . Just pared a bit of and it works fine .. the other pegs are 10 mm and the tube has a wall thickness of 1.5 mm so that should be fine ..great tip mate ..?

I made something similar but used old hacksaw blades as the spring. I made up some small white vanes which I pop rivetted onto either side of the neck where the white patch is. This definitely helped movement in a very light breeze.  The tube is a much better idea as it also lets the bird  errr??? would 'oscillate' be the word, the hacksaws only bent backwards and forwards.  They are already on the scrap pile. Cheers.

14 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Needs to be silicon - brewers is too stiff

I used the brewers tubing but it's trial and error with the length to get the right flexibility/movement. Too short and it puts strain on the Dippa. Too long and it won't support the shell decoy.

Hope this helps.

OB