My daughter wants a camera

team tractor

If she is a girly girl, there are plenty of small compact point and click cameras that have coloured cases! Nikon, Panasonic, and canon being three fairly good ones! I would aim toward lens quality rather than MP as it can have a 16mp sensor that is crud without a decent lens to go with it! 

If it HAS to be £30 tops then take a gander in the like of CEX or Cash Converters! They offer a warranty with electrical goods! And a nice Nikon can prob be found for about that! 

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

My daughter wants a digital camera for her birthday but I’m stumped on this stuff .

looking £20-30 as all my kids and mrs , mum all have birthdays with weeks of each other.

shes 12 this time and has a lap top of her own to load pictures on to

No disrespect TT but you're not going to get anything at that price, a half decent SD card will take up half your budget. Best bet maybe to have a look at local free ads and the likes of Gumtree etc. Obviously anything on there would be sold as seen so you'll be taking a chance. Good luck.

Ideally You want optical zoom, not digital. Digital zoom interpolates the image and you lose quality. It's also bad for focal issues once the camera moves when using digital zoom. If you CAN get something like a 6X or higher zoom and a doubler if the camera has the facility to attatch one. 

18 minutes ago, poontang said:

No disrespect TT but you're not going to get anything at that price, a half decent SD card will take up half your budget. Best bet maybe to have a look at local free ads and the likes of Gumtree etc. Obviously anything on there would be sold as seen so you'll be taking a chance. Good luck.

Seen loads of new ones around that but I’m limited on budget for a birthday. If it means spending £40 I will but I’m worried it’ll go in the pile with the other presents :/ 

1 minute ago, SPARKIE said:

does she not have a mobile phone? the cameras on most of them are prob better than what you will get for £30

I said this to her dude. My guess it’ll never get used :/ 

10 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

Ideally You want optical zoom, not digital. Digital zoom interpolates the image and you lose quality. It's also bad for focal issues once the camera moves when using digital zoom. If you CAN get something like a 6X or higher zoom and a doubler if the camera has the facility to attatch one. 

Cheers LG 

What phone has she got? 

At that price it’s more likely to just end up on the pile of stuff you never use as it’s unlikely to be any better. 

Good cameras are much like good scopes, the decent glass and lenses can cost a fortune. 

If I was you I’d consider looking into a “photography day” or something like an experience she can look into what she might need, then tell her to get a job and get saving!! 

Daughter has had good results using the "clip on" lens extensions on her phone, both telephoto and macro.  Might be an option?

/www.amazon.co.uk/Phone-Camera-Travel-Firmly-Different/dp/B075GYPYTX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527945709&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=phone+lens+kit&psc=1

On 02/06/2018 at 13:56, Lloyd90 said:

What phone has she got? 

At that price it’s more likely to just end up on the pile of stuff you never use as it’s unlikely to be any better. 

Good cameras are much like good scopes, the decent glass and lenses can cost a fortune. 

If I was you I’d consider looking into a “photography day” or something like an experience she can look into what she might need, then tell her to get a job and get saving!! 

Good idea ?

On 02/06/2018 at 14:23, Yellow Bear said:

Daughter has had good results using the "clip on" lens extensions on her phone, both telephoto and macro.  Might be an option?

/www.amazon.co.uk/Phone-Camera-Travel-Firmly-Different/dp/B075GYPYTX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527945709&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=phone+lens+kit&psc=1

I’ll look into that :)