Project for Monday

la bala

Easiliy missed... I had same until someone pointed it out to me.  I was trying to work out how it manages to build up pressure but I suppose it does get pretty warm in there which expands the air/oil.   Mine is a 1989 ( 29yr old) and I have owned it close on 10yrs and yes, I ahve built up my own spares department too.:good:

53 minutes ago, ditchman said:

do you put them in blindfolded ?........are they the bits left over from the last job in may 1939 ?

There you go, your having a pop already :lol::lol:.  Breather is fine  ditchman, its never had a new land fitted on that side. As time goes by the oil seal wears a groove in the land. Its amazing how rubber wears steel. I have seen unsecured hydraulic pipes wear through steel on earthmoving machinery.

19 minutes ago, la bala said:

There you go, your having a pop already .  Breather is fine  ditchman, its never had a new land fitted on that side. As time goes by the oil seal wears a groove in the land. Its amazing how rubber wears steel. I have seen unsecured hydraulic pipes wear through steel on earthmoving machinery.

yey seen that to.....will you leave as is or smooth off with very fine emery ?

Edited by ditchman

Next up undo locking tabs on hub and remove the two big locking nuts, if you want to reuse bearings mind the front bearing dont drop out when lifting hub away. With the hub on the bench remove front bearing, Lever out rear hub seal and remove bearing. Now you have got half the bearings out you are just left with the casings, these can be drifted out with care.

thumbnail_IMG_0739 hub 4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0740hub 5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0741 hub 6.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0742 hub 7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0743hub 8.jpg

Now for that land i was on about, this is sometimes called a distance piece, anyway this is where your back hub bearing and oil seal sits. There is no way it can be pulled off, so a sharp chisel and a couple of sharp whacks, it will fracture the rest of the way. Dont go mad with the chisel or you will go through and score the shaft. The old land has scoring but i have seen worse.

thumbnail_IMG_0744 hub 9.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0745 hub 10.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0746 hub 11.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0747 hub 12.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0748 hub 13.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0749 hub14.jpg

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you are taking some nice pics there......you got a different camera now ?:good:

No still using that apple core thingy. :lol:

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

see you've got the mrs washing up bowl again.......................you'll bloody catch it if she finds out..............

I gave it a bit of a swill out before i peeled the tates

Not too much in putting bearings back, just reverse of taking them out. I could have made more use of my press but i hadnt got any mandrels to fit. In the picture i used the old bearing case to press the new one part way in. I finished up drifting the cases in with a piece of brass.  Then its just the messy bit getting plenty of grease in there, but dont over do it. I really dont know why the stupid pics have decided to go like this. That bloody ditchman sticking pins in my effigi . :lol:

IMG_0752 hub20.JPG

IMG_0753 hub20.JPG

IMG_0754 hub21.JPG

The last time i fitted a new land was some years ago, at that time i had a piece of aluminium tube ideal for drifting the land onto the shaft. I will really have to tidy up, cant find it anywhere. I have enlarged the old land and welded it to a piece of mild steel tube, this will be my drift. So tomorrow new land in wifes oven, gas mark 7 for 20 minutes and job should be a goodun.

Capture tool.PNG

Capture tool 2.PNG

Capture tool 3.PNG

Capture tool 4.PNG

Well my drift worked ok, put land in oven for 10 minutes and it went on piece of cake. Bit of Hylomar and gaskets , job done. You cant beat Hylomar, Perkins been using it for donkeys years. Got some new brake drums and mintex linings ordered now.:lol:

thumbnail_IMG_0758 hub 1a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0759 hub1b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0761 hub 1c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0762 hub 1d.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0763 hub 1e.jpg

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Pot calling kettle black alert!

Great work LB another very interesting thread.

Thank you

oopps...:oops:

anyway i have other stuff to do at the moment...like these bloody twice /year hedges....i tell ee im run ragged....ragged i tell eee

i have just stopped, had a sarni...pushed me belly button back in and admiring balas post of mechanical artistry...

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i tell you now...there is some bovine excrement on the forskin................but there is no way on earth, you made that.........

tell her to run me up a nice coffee/choco' spounge please....with crushed walnuts....

Hand on heart me old mucker I made it. Trouble is they dont last long, I made two more today.