Lost gun cabinet keys.

Hello,

I've recently moved house and in the move I have lost one of my sets of gun cabinet keys, I still have the spare set on me. Now I haven't fixed my cabinet to the well yet in my new house (my gun is currently in storage at the local gunshop) but the question is do I need to buy a new cabinet as I've now lost a set of keys to my cabinet? Only a handfull  of my family know that I own a gun and where I live (yes you all know on here now but you don't know where I live). I think I have lost the keys in my new house although I've had a good look but can't seem to find them. If I have lost them outside of the house and someone else finds them I highly doubt they'll know what the keys are for and where I live  ect... But I suppose there's always the "what if" possibility but extremely unlikely. So I would like to know your thoughts on this, should I buy a new cabinet to cover my **** in the "what if" scenario? I have thought about changing the locks on the cabinet but by the looks of the way they are mounted I don't think they can be changed.

Many Thanks

Elliot.

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you should be able to buy a new set of locks....all i have to do is undo 2 bolts on mine in side the cabinate and the locks will come out...........locks arnt welded in.....

This. Get them off the net. Doesn't cost much and won't take long at all. 

13 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

This. Get them off the net. Doesn't cost much and won't take long at all. 

Thanks for the info, I've got a Brattonsound 3 gun cabinet. I've attached a picture below of one of the locks. I've got a feeing as I try to undo the nut the bolt is just going to spin with it. I can get my finger in behind the plate but doubt I'll be able to apply enough pressure to stop the bolt from spinning as well.

34118468_10155369596802750_2425304299031494656_n.jpg

If it were me I'd be calling Brattonsound and ordering 2 new locks. This way you could be sure that they would fit and that they were up to spec. This might be a more expensive way to do it than buying a couple of locks off the web, but at least you'll have peace of mind with them and no hassle fitting them.

24 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Spanner behind the 'plate' to hold the bolt head in place.

Socket on the exposed side to undo the nut.

Simples.

Thanks, just went and checked behind the plate  again and they're cross head bolts, but think I might be able to hold the head in place with a nail file.

3 minutes ago, Longstrider said:

If it were me I'd be calling Brattonsound and ordering 2 new locks. This way you could be sure that they would fit and that they were up to spec. This might be a more expensive way to do it than buying a couple of locks off the web, but at least you'll have peace of mind with them and no hassle fitting them.

Cheers, I shall give them a bell Monday and see what they say.

Thanks, just went and checked behind the plate  again and they're cross head bolts, but think I might be able to hold the head in place with a nail file.

have you not got a 90 degree screw driver? They rarely get used but priceless when needed. If you can find where they are. 

42 minutes ago, Mungler said:

I always thought it better and easier to keep what you have and to just add another lock on - get a decent hasp/padlock on the outside and jobs jobbed.

thats not legal.............has to be hidden /recessed 5 lever lock...

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

have you not got a 90 degree screw driver? They rarely get used but priceless when needed. If you can find where they are. 

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

In the absence of a 90 degree screwdriver and nut splitter and if the nail file belongs to 'er indoors, the old standby in the shape of a hackswaw blade never fails.

26 minutes ago, ditchman said:

That I did not know - I’ve seen quite a few old boy farmers with various welded metal chests with hasp / padlock affairs.

I suppose also how many shotguns / firearms is a consideration - a single shotgun can be secured with a trigger wall lock or metal rope lock.

All I know is that every time I’ve changed a lock because the keys go missing, well odds on the keys turn up the week after.

30 minutes ago, Mungler said:

That I did not know - I’ve seen quite a few old boy farmers with various welded metal chests with hasp / padlock affairs.

I suppose also how many shotguns / firearms is a consideration - a single shotgun can be secured with a trigger wall lock or metal rope lock.

All I know is that every time I’ve changed a lock because the keys go missing, well odds on the keys turn up the week after.

:lol:aint that the truth

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

It’s not illegal it just doesn’t meet an expected police standard.  It’s still not a legal requirement to have a cabinet the FEO is just hard to convince otherwise but doesn’t make it law. 

They are very easy to change (I've done it quite a few times now for various reasons). Just use a small spanner to undo the nut and jam your finger against the back of the bolt - they aren't done up particularly tightly.

Edited by al_essex

1 hour ago, hawkeye said:

would it not be just as easy to have copies made of your existing keys..

Were it just a case of getting a spare set then yes; easiest way. However the OPs main concern (as I see it from  his first post) was if the keys were found and the finder used the 'force' to find out where he lived it could be a problem.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Keep looking.

I am very experienced at misplacing keys and other small items but except for my best trowel which i'm sure my missus threw out with the garden waste, I always find them.

To loose keys between the car and house is quite rare.

Double check your car especially down the side and under your seats and use a bright torch.

Cluttered side pockets is a good one.

Did you use another car ?

Think what you where wearing the day of the loss and did you change your keks or jacket? Check all the pockets.

Then move onto drawers, cupboards  and furniture under behind and down the side of.

Tops above head height, get a stool out.

Or change the locks and find them shortly after.

Good luck.

Edited by Robertt

1 minute ago, Graham M said:

It's not illegal if you already have two recessed mortise type locks already fitted. All you are doing is ADDING to the security.

if you read the whole post ...he is missing the spare set of keys....if they are found by someone...all they need is a small angle grinder to take any padlock lock off the front..........

I think you’ve answered your own question. It’s possible someone will find the keys, but first they have to identify them as gun cabinet keys, then out of a population of multi millions they have to identify them as yours and then find out where you live.

Personally I would just get another set cut before you lose the spares. 

Edited by Scully

On 02/06/2018 at 20:24, Mice! said:

have used a 1/4 socket held in a set of locking pliers to act as a 90 deg screw driver in the past or a 1/4 socket in a ratchet