Lost gun cabinet keys.

I have an angle adjustable wrench handle which fits 1/4 inch sockets  I have often used one of these sockets fitted with a 'swapable' screw drive head to get at semi hidden screws.

Would only need 1 to 1 1/4 clearnce to get in there. Failing that the screw driver head held with pliers(long nose) or a small lockable wrench.

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you read the whole post ...he is missing the spare set of keys....if they are found by someone...all they need is a small angle grinder to take any padlock lock off the front..........

All that anyone would need to get into most gun cabinets is a small angle grinder regardless of an extra external lock!

I opened one a few months ago in about 45 seconds with a cordless grinder and that was more substantial then a brattonsound. 

Edd

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you read the whole post ...he is missing the spare set of keys....if they are found by someone...all they need is a small angle grinder to take any padlock lock off the front..........

I DID read the whole post, I was just reiterating that it wasn't illegal to have padlocks on the outside if they were there simply to reinforce the existing security of recessed mortise locks.

That's what I have done to mine, as I live in wonderful crime ridden Birmingham.

On 02/06/2018 at 19:42, ditchman said:

if "they" can put it on you can take it off.................failing that angle grind them off and fit 4 new bolts.............

you seem to have an obsession with angle grinders ditchman, is this due to some childhood trauma?

With regards to comments about cutting off extra locks, hasps or any other locking device using a grinder, it would really make little difference. You can buy a cheap battery powered grinder that would get in a cabinet in less than 5 minutes. And that's not going through the door. 

What are the chances of someone finding your keys, knowing what they are for and also knowing where you live ??? Then they need to find your cabinet which could for example be hidden behind a locked door anywhere in your house. 

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it! I've rang up Brattonsound and ordered some new locks which should be here the beginning of next week. So once they've arrived I shall let you all know how I get on fitting them. I bet the chances are once they're fitted the old keys will turn up lol.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...