Its Been a Long Day

The day started at 09.00 and DB and I headed out not knowing where to look for birds. We had received two calls in the week both on different crops so we headed out to the first farm to look at Linseed and turnip tops. The linseed had nothing on it and we counted twenty eight on the turnip tops. The farmer was moving sheep so we decide to help him and see if the number increased. Following a youthful driver in an Audi which nearly took my legs off deciding to scream down the  road and not anticipate that there may be others on the road except him. We went back to the turnips and there was now thirty down so we set up and wasted an hour for three birds and packed up.

We drove to the other farm to inspect the peas and watched it for nearly an hour no birds. The farmer came over to us and confirmed what his wife had already told us that they arrive at 16.00. So we drove around the area looking and could not find any birds flighting at all. We found some on clover but nothing joining.

We came back to the peas and watched again and noticed birds dropping out of the trees into a corner of the field, we counted twenty in and decided to givet it a go as we had not seen any other birds feeding. We set up at 15.15 and waited ten minute elapsed before the first bird returned that shot then spooked at least fifty birds out of the trees around the field. The farmer had put a banger on it and this went off while we were setting up and spooked nothing. We then continued to shoot until  we packed up at  20.00. We laid the birds on the grass next to the field as not to damage  the crop and picked up ninetyfour birds. I had my breakfast at 08.00 and my tea at 23.00 so it was a long day.

100_3168.jpg

94 Pigeons

Well done, again you persistence paid off.

Strangely enough we noticed we noticed the same thing recently. The pea field was devoid of pigeons until 4 pm and whilst watching an Audi driver with no brain came within inches of us at great speed on a narrow lane.

A good report of your long and tiring day. Perhaps you should take up less strenuous activities.

As Clodhopper alluded to we have noticed feeding activities starting at 4pm. Of all of my pea fields some have no pigeons on them and on others the ‘butterfly shooters’ are out in force. I have only one unshot field left to try.

What is it with Audi drivers? On a single track road next to a pea field an imbecile old man nearly took us out. He must have been doing 60mph.

14 minutes ago, motty said:

Another good bag.

I am about to have a go on a rape field. Pigeons have been seen arriving throughout the day. Wish me luck!

Agreeing with the above observations , I find very little movement on most crops this time of the year during the morning and early afternoon , the only exception is on laid barley , this could well be because the parents are taking the milky grain backwards and forwards to the swabs .

So let me be the first one to wish you luck , you should stay dry once the rape dry out .