Very, definite, possible, maybe.

getthegat

So ages back, a nice size field near me and one of my perms, was ploughed. Hoping for at least some crows, nothing went near it. Then it was cultivated and seeded, so surely some birds would be interested, but no not a one. Then the crop, maze, started shouting.....still no interest. The plants are looking very healthy now at about 2 - 4 inches high and on Friday there was about a dozen woodies and a couple of crows, happily munching the tops off the plants, so I'll be keeping a close eye all this week, with the hope that by my next day off, Saturday, with any luck there will be a worthwhile number of birds on it. Also the two hay fields either side may be cut by then.

So if all the stars align and my luck is in, a day of pigeon and corvids could be on the cards at last. Desperate to try out my newly acquired Dippas as well.Of course the birds may have other ideas ?

Edited by getthegat

You have heard of the saying...Best laid plans etc etc....BUT I hope all goes well for you. One of my best mornings at crows was on sprouting maize a couple of inches high. They were going down rows systematically pulling each one up.    148 in 90 mins.   Lady who lived under the local rookery said there had been very few there for over a week now......in the rookery that is.     Best of luck and get there at day break because they wake up early. 

Edited by Walker570

Think you may be right, I've been hoping for a bit of a build up of birds, but so far it a big fat no. So I'll be scouting elsewhere in the next few days to see if anywhere else can offer better chances. I saw my first couple of birds landing in some very unripe wheat this afternoon, it's not even at the milky stage yet. Maybe I'm just wishing for a good few hours and realty will prove different.

Definitely a case of best laid plans. The field I was watching all week produced nothing, so I went on the hunt for a reasonable second option. Found a field with a bit of action yesterday and a cut silage field next door. Decided on an early start but girlfriends son made it even earlier by coming home with a mate at 2.30, drunk, the dog barked and woke us all, then they stayed talking (loudly) for another half hour. The missus couldn't go back to sleep, so I had a Kindle light in my face, I eventually got off, only to wake at 4.10. Decided I might as well get out, so here we are with a dead field, mossies, a hide that I made from a fishing umbrella, partially broken, my eyes blurry and a knackered body. Christ I hope it picks up or I might have to go to work. Signed; Fed up of Essex

Yep, as expected, a total flop. Other than the joy of seeing 2 foxes, hearing a couple of cookoos, seeing a hare and a couple of rabits, no birds came to play. Now very trashed and needing a catch up sleep. Hey ho, corn will soon be ripening.