Temporary Permit

Good friend of mine and an old boss dropped dead last week unexpectedly. 

He has a 22lr and a 12 Bore over under, I have told his family they need to get a temporary certificate issues so they can sort out his guns. 

They are just wondering if they can have the temporary permit or if it needs to be someone who holds a firearms / shotgun licence already? 

And also do the Guns need to be handed over to a firearm dealer? Or can they be sold privately? 

Thanks 

Lloyd 

They get the temp certificate i think it lasts for 3 months ( it did when my mate died and his partner got ticket straight away from n Yorks police )

They can be sold privately and do not have to be handed over to a firearms dealer..

you just have to do paper work as normal for sale..

Edited by hawkeye

for just 2 guns I wouldn't think its worth the hassle, a .22 rifle is probably not worth too much (could be wrong) and if the shotgun is worth any thing get it signed on to your ticket and hold it for them. otherwise get a rfd to pick them up.

Its no hassle they give you the cert straight away doesn't matter what they are worth, give them to RFD and you will get charged they are not going to store  and sell for nothing so why pay them when you can do it your self..

The 22 rifle is an Anschutz, it’s badicslly brand new he bought it and used it once. 

Just two weeks ago he messaged me saying he was going to see it as never really been used. 

No idea what the shotgun is though. 

Will have to find out. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

What happens in cases such as these; can locksmiths actually pick locks ( mine couldn’t ) or is it just a case of getting an angle grinder? 

my Feo told me no one including the wife is to know the location of your keys to your cabinet. But it sounds to me as though if I pass my mrs can obtain a temporary permit to have the guns. So why so cautious to start with?

When my friend died FEO told me to phone a local RFD we both know and "get him to make you his agent" That is just a verbal contract.

This legally empowered me to take late friend's guns to the shop where they were taken off his certificate, a receipt was issued and we sent that off to FEO with a photocopy of the death certificate and his FAC. 

get your locally rfd to collect them. they will be safe from damage and all the ones i know would charge very little to hold them. until all the more important things are sorted. rather than having the hassle of worrying about guns at such a sensitive time. i have friends that are rfd and have held guns for people for long and short periods of time. when different circumstances in life have needed them to be stored.

Just don't do what the family of my sisters late friend did.

They called Kent Police one Saturday afternoon and an Armed Response Team arrived to take the gun away, it was never seen again.

One of the family had happily signed it over for destruction, keeps the numbers up for the Police I suppose!

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just don't do what the family of my sisters late friend did.

They called Kent Police one Saturday afternoon and an Armed Response Team arrived to take the gun away, it was never seen again.

One of the family had happily signed it over for destruction, keeps the numbers up for the Police I suppose!

Yes I have heard of that more than once

18 hours ago, Scully said:

What happens in cases such as these; can locksmiths actually pick locks ( mine couldn’t ) or is it just a case of getting an angle grinder? 

Most cabinets can be pinged open with a large screwdriver, so the FEO told me when my friend died and we couldn't find his keys. You just have to flex the door enough to draw the latches out of loops that are holding them. Don't try and lever the door open just lever it back, that's what he said.

It makes you wonder why we bother with all this security really if that's the case, but in the end we found the keys. I think we are lulled into believing our modern cabinets are more secure than they really are. I believe things were more secure when we had ridiculously large metal hasps and Chubb locks but we were told to get rid of them.

Edited by Vince Green