Kissamee Florida shooting range

chady

Went a few years ago to oakridge gun range, universal weapons and one i think called tenoroc.out of the three i prefered universal, but the other two were friendly enough, cost wise it was around £50-60 for a couple of hrs on the range and a couple of hundred rounds, exchange rate at the time was nearly 1.90$ for a £1 so would  cost a bit more now.

Edited by johnnythefox70

I have shot in Florida a few times. It was a Trap and Skeet club called 'Skyway' and was near Tampa, BUT it was back in the late 90's. I was able to use a club Beretta auto trap gun for around $15/session. I did find cartridges at the ground a bit expensive and the locals advised me to go to Walmart to buy them (no licence required) I did struggle to get 28 gram though, nearly all 32 gram. The last occasion that I went (2004), they were in the process of installing a bit of a sporting layout, which I was able to shoot. I found this ground through a local gunshop, some of whom, have small ranges at the rear of their shops if pistol shooting floats yer boat (it does not do for me). I shot about 100 on each visit, which cost around £20 for clays. I was able to buy ammo at the local Walmart at around £10/25. I was shocked at the prices of shotgun ammo in USA, which was even greater at the ground.

Edited by Westley

I've shot at Oakridge too - I opted for pistols but there were other options.

I had to show and leave my passport and was told by the staff member that they'd need to stand with me for a while and offer a safety briefing and ensure I wasn't a liability to myself and others. I have shot pistols before but they didn't ask about past experience.

That consisted of me showing them how to handle the pistol (unloaded), then load it with three rounds, get them on target and remove the magazine. Others were having longer briefings and it depended on how they assessed you. Nothing heavy and very worthwhile - it certainly wasn't just a perfunctory process.

It was then a matter of leaving the secure range and into the shop each time you wanted to shoot something else - pick the firearm, buy your ammunition (full boxes only) and take your time enjoying it. There was no time limit on how long you could use the range, providing they weren't busy.

One thing to note, you can't shoot on your own. Even if you have a non-shooter with you, most ranges simply won't let you shoot on your own, irrespective of experience.

I went to another range but can't recall the name but I'll try and find it - similar set up but they didn't do a safety check, just asked me if I'd shot before. The difference with that range was that there were two uniformed police officers there shooting and we spent some time shooting together with them offering tips and encouragement.

They'll inevitably ask why our licensing laws are so restrictive.... 

3 hours ago, Puggers said:

I've shot at Oakridge too - I opted for pistols but there were other options.

I had to show and leave my passport and was told by the staff member that they'd need to stand with me for a while and offer a safety briefing and ensure I wasn't a liability to myself and others. I have shot pistols before but they didn't ask about past experience.

That consisted of me showing them how to handle the pistol (unloaded), then load it with three rounds, get them on target and remove the magazine. Others were having longer briefings and it depended on how they assessed you. Nothing heavy and very worthwhile - it certainly wasn't just a perfunctory process.

It was then a matter of leaving the secure range and into the shop each time you wanted to shoot something else - pick the firearm, buy your ammunition (full boxes only) and take your time enjoying it. There was no time limit on how long you could use the range, providing they weren't busy.

One thing to note, you can't shoot on your own. Even if you have a non-shooter with you, most ranges simply won't let you shoot on your own, irrespective of experience.

I went to another range but can't recall the name but I'll try and find it - similar set up but they didn't do a safety check, just asked me if I'd shot before. The difference with that range was that there were two uniformed police officers there shooting and we spent some time shooting together with them offering tips and encouragement.

They'll inevitably ask why our licensing laws are so restrictive.... 

Thanks great advice there I’ve never shot any thing apart from a shotgun and air rifle.  So will need a lesson on how to use it. 

I have shot oakridge a few times but in February we shot at The Shooting Gallery for a change. Very similar prices and helpful guys. They were quite happy that my son and I new what I was doing so they handed over what we wanted and a box of rounds. We shot 3 different pistols a couple of different 9mm and a .45 and ended up with a M4 in 5.56 and a Uzi 9mm. If you want spend money have a crack with these on full auto. I think we spent about $280 and well worth it. Next time we are out there it will be the Shooting Gallery again. I have some video of us with the M4 I will see if I can get it on here. 

17 hours ago, Puggers said:

I've shot on my own at two different ranges in Florida, one in Orlando, one in Vero beach.

The first time in Vero beach I hadn't shot before so had to pay someone to come and give me a 'lesson', they were able to refer someone, it wasn't too expensive and he was good crack. I hadn't brought anything to leave as security so they let me leave my Costo card (it has my photo on it).

The second time it was at "The Shooting Gallery Range" in Orlando, he was happy enough when I said I'd shot before and could run through loading and unloading. The pound was down to £1.20 to the dollar, I think an hour or two came to £120.

One regret was not taking my wife and daughters along later, I think they would have enjoyed it and it's something most of their friends haven't tried! (They were 12 and 14 at the time, the guy in Orlando said that was OK as long as they were robust enough).

2 hours ago, Puggers said:

Simplest thing to do, Chady, is when you've found the range you fancy, phone or email ahead rather than rely on mine or Nial's experience.

Enjoy yourself.

Cheers

I will thank you might try the shooting gallery to be honest but I’ll send them an email 

On 03/06/2018 at 22:08, Puggers said:

I have always shot on my own and Oakridge and The Shooting Galley maybe 8 times in total.

9 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

I have always shot on my own and Oakridge and The Shooting Galley maybe 8 times in total.

+1 they have always asked if I have shot b4 then I am left to get on with it. One thing that surprises me though is how expensive it is to shoot in the states.

Edited by blackbird

Your best bet is to email a few of the ranges as the difference in price from one place to another can be considerable & take into account the very poor exchange rate between the £ & $ the United States is a very expensive place to visit at the moment.

Edited by blackbird