A pleasant call today from my farmer first sighting of the year of pheasant chicks only 4 but it's a start.

30 minutes ago, Konnie said:

A pleasant call today from my farmer first sighting of the year of pheasant chicks only 4 but it's a start.

More or less bang on Konnie with timing , our old keeper used to recon Ascot week could make or break the fore coming season , if it is wet and cold there would be very little insect life for the young game birds and with little feathers they some suffer from the cold , whereas with warm weather there is more food and they soon harden up to face the elements

I saw the first brood of day old pheasants 3 weeks ago whilst out decoying. Mentioned it to the local keeper who had already seen multiple other broods in his travels so looking positive for him.

I'm pretty certain I have three hens sitting on clutches in my wood as they will suddenly rush out grab some of the maize I spread to attract the corvids  and then dash back in the same area.

The old cock bird just parades around as if he owns the place.    My wood is only 10 acres but full of good cover and I feed year round, mixed corn, maize, peanuts and it is buzzing with insect life.  ALSO I have managed to hit the predators this year...corvids and squirrels hard.

Looking good in Mid Suffolk too! Several broods of pheasant and partridges about. Couple of broods of english. Good weather, plenty of insects, less sparrow hawks and buzzards about this year. Educating dog walkers! Good year for crows tho. Still hitting em hard when i can and  plenty in traps. 42 on milky barley at weekend. All helps! NB